1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External Hard drive OR External Hard drive/dvd-rw combo?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by hotskates, Oct 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

I want to get an external hard drive/dvd burner combo if there is such a thing. To make this question as simple as possible...I need a hard drive that my camera can be plugged into with the firewire. I also need the hard drive that is able to plug in to the USB2 slot on my computer, because
    my new Dell doesn't seem to tolerate a firewire card which I installed and then took out and returned to the store. It froze my computer and I tried everything to stabilize it but had no luck. It did work long enough to download 10 min. or so of video and I burned that onto a cd. Thats when I found out I had a dvd-rom not a dvd burner......long story I know. Sorry. I just want to figure out the most economical way now to save my movies and burn them to dvd also using either another external dvd burner or maybe there is a hard drive/dvd burner combo?? Or should I just get two separate externals?
    Again: I need the hard drive/burner to plug into my computer with usb2.
    Then the firewire from the camera would go into the hard drive/burner to download the movies. :confused:

2. Mulderator

Mulderator

Hottie, try a different firewire card. The freeze on the computer is due to the drivers and you almost certainly can fix that problem--a different card will have different drivers.

You can't hook a camera directly to a hard drive--that won't work. If you don't use a firewire card, then your only other option is to buy something like this;

http://www.adstech.com/products/USBAV_703/intro/usb703intro.asp?pid=USBAV703

It has a USB connection and you can plug your camera into its firewire port. I saw the above in Walmart actually.

But I would not give up on the firewire card. Again--get a different model and if you have the same problem, post back in this thread and we'll help you get that installed. The firewire card is only $30 or so.

3. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Mulder is there a firewire that has a good reputation? I would like to only have to install this ONE more time if you know what I mean. What a pain.

The one I first installed was this: Stratitec IC1394 - IEEE-1394 3-Port Firewire/i.LINK PCI Card.......which I bought at Walmart (you never know about the quality there) so I'm thinking maybe a "name brand" might be better. Any suggestions?

4. Mulderator

Mulderator

Go to CompUSA and ask them--there is not a big issue with quality--its a pretty simple card.

Here is the top rated one at NewEgg--it has two firewire and three USB ports for $20:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815106004

Here is one for under $10 with three ports:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815124003

They are cheaper then they used to be--I would get the one with the two USB and 3 Firewire because for an extra $10 you get two USB ports. If you are concerned with it working, then go to CompUSA so you can return it.

5. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Thats why I bought the firewire card at walmart for $24. (they took it back and gave me a refund even though I mangled the package pretty bad getting the card out :eek: ) ......that didn't work and I got a "hardware malfunction" message. I tried getting the correct drivers from their website but it was still screwing up my computer.:(

I didn't think it mattered what brand because they are all pretty similar. I'm going to check Dell's site too for the firewire card they recommend for use with their computers or I could call their tech support and talk to someone at Dell, I think I have a year of free tech support at Dell.

And then I'll probably do what you said and talk to someone at CompUSA about which card they recommend and I can also ask about an external hard drive while I'm there:) Thanks Mulder!! I'll let you know what happens ;)

6. Mulderator

Mulderator

I wouldn't buy an external hard drive. Just buy an hard drive enclosure and stick a regular hard drive in that. That way, the enclosure can be used with different hard drives and the enclosure/IDE hard drive combo is usually cheaper than an external. They have those at CompUSA as well.

7. Mulderator

Mulderator

The cards are similar, but the drivers can be very different. Also, the card you bought may just have not worked. I would bet another card would work fine.

BTW--if it doesn't work in on PCI slot, try it in a different one.

8. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Mulder...you're right and I know that because the PCI slot I first tried didn't work at all, and then it barely worked in the second slot. But, I do need to try another card with different drivers like you mentioned. Hopefully that will work.

When I get the new firewire card and I get the new firewire to work, then I probably won't bother with the extra hard drive, I'll just get a dvd burner.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, external hard disks are GREAT for backup, I use a bunch of them here, and I have them installed as most of my clients as well.

10. linskyjack

linskyjack

If your firewire card doesn't have a TI chipset---then you are looking for trouble. I recommend the ADS Pyro card----works faultlessly and used by many professionals on high-end rigs. No need for drivers----XP will find it when you turn your computer on.

As far as HD's go, Mulder's advice is excellent---although all enclosures aren't created equal---the controlers in particular---If you aren't handy with a screw driver and attaching cables, then I would go with one of the larger ready built ones----Western Digital, Maxtor, Hitachi etc all make them. Here is the website for the Pyro card.

https://www.adstech.com/products/API300/intro/API300intro.asp?pid=API300

As far as a seperate DVD burner goes---again, you can attach most of them directly to the ports of your firewire card (the ADS has three I believe), or if you are more adventuresome you can insert one in your computer.

11. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Maybe someday I'll get one if I need the extra backup!

I'll check out the TI chipset feature. The ADS Pyro card looks like its very solid and sturdy (the one I tried installing from walmart was kinda wimpy) linskyjack....I only want to install the firewire card one more time. I'm not sure if the first one I tried had a TI chipset??

12. linskyjack

linskyjack

This will be the last firewire card you ever need----I have installed it in many machines and have never had a problem. Chances are the first card didn't have the TI chipset and thus, gave you problems.

13. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

linsky....does TI stand for texas instruments? If so, I remember seeing something (similar to that on the "instsructions" included with the firewire card from wal-mart)....unfortunately, I do not read (all of the) instructions and cannot remember;) But, the next card I get, if TI is Texas Instruments, will be sure to have that in it:) I might have to spend some time reading instructions and actually chatting with "dell" about the compability issues if there are problems installing the firewire. I'm going to wait until I go to CompUSA and talk to an "expert" about what firewire card to install. (however I'll be armed with the specifics I've learned here to help me with that decision):)

14. linskyjack

linskyjack

LOL---forget Compusa "experts"----thats an oxymoron. ---TI stands for Texas Instruments----Hotskates, there are two things I have learned in the course of working in video-----

1. Don't cheap out---buy the best you can afford---In this case, the Walmart card had to be some piece of crap that some buyer bought in bulk from some half-arsed mfgr.
    2. The Pyro card is not that much more expensive--maybe ten bucks if you shop around.

3.The Dell isn't the reason the firewire card was accepted or rejected----its a function of the OS, and the card itself.

4. Whenever possible, use firewire over USB-----

Here is the process.

1. Buy the card (should be in the 29-39 dollar range)
    2. Insert the card
    3. Turn on the computer---XP should find the card and install the driver---
    4. Plug your external hard drive into one of the firewire ports on the card. (Make sure you get a drive that supports firewire) Mulder recommended building your own or purchasing a tray--thats a possibility but you could also by one already built. For instance, you could get a Western DIgital 120gb drive for 179.99 at Compusa---I am sure you could pick it up cheaper somewhere else (www.newegg.com--etc)

5. Capture your video to that drive (thats all you should have on that drive)

6. Edit your video in an NLE----
    7. Convert to mpeg and burn to DVD----YOu can buy an external DVD burner that supports firewire---if you need a recommendation let me know.

If you want me to take you through the steps, let me know-----

15. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Well I went to Comp USA and for $30 I bought a belkin firewire 3-port pci card and after installing it, my computer (windows xp) recognized the new hardware right away after I rebooted. It did show the TI compatability that you talked about. I plugged my video camera into the firewire and was able to download video with no problem. It worked great.

I looked at dvd burners while I was at the store and there were some as low as $79. which surprised me. I'm going to study up on the various models on the market before I decide on which one. Then I can make dvd's out of my movies. In the mean time, I can and did, download the video onto my computer and made a little movie which I burned onto a cd. It plays the movie with the editing I did, on Windows Media player.

What external dvd burner would you recommend linskyjack?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/407410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice