1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External hard drive problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Aussie Pom, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aussie Pom

Aussie Pom Thread Starter

G'day,
    I have been through all the forums on this problem but cannot find a solution.
    I have a WD External Hard Drive which was working perfectly, but now nothing will recognize it. I tried three computers, new cables and leads everything that has been suggested on this site to no avail. I phoned the Computer Store and the Technical guy told me that because of the storms we have had there has been allot of spikes and this might have caused the problem. They might be able to retriever the dater but it will cost between $500 to $1000.
    The light turns on and you can hear the motor running.
    Would there be away I can try to make it work or is there a way I can open it to transfer the dater to another external hard drive?
    I would really appreciate your help.
    Cheers Perry:mad:

2. Aussie Pom

G'day Again,
    I forgot to mention that the Device Manager indicated that this device is working perfectly. LITTLE DO HE KNOW!!!!
    Cheers Perry:)

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Does it appear in Disk Management and what does it say about it?

Short of removing the drive from its case (which would invalidate the warranty) and connecting it internally to a PC, or externally through a USB adapter, there is not much left that you can do.

Files that are not backed up are files you should expect to lose.

4. Aussie Pom

G'day Elvandil,
    There is no warranty. I opened the case and things seem OK. The Disk Manager said that the disk is working perfectly. I have not heard of a USB adapter. I will make inquiries to see where I can purchase one or borrow it to see if it works. The files I have on the hard drive are not really important but if I can restore things to get them back would be great.
    Cheers Perry

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can connect it inside a PC if you have one.

If the drive turns out to be OK, you could either buy a new case or use it internally in another machne. So don't toss it yet - it's possible that the enclosure has the problem instead of the drive.

But what about Disk Management?

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management

or go to Start > Run, and type:

diskmgmt.msc

6. jamessmithonline

jamessmithonline

7. Aussie Pom

G'day Elvandil
    When I opened Disk Management as you suggested. The EHD was not recognized.
    Cheers Perry

Attached Files:

8. bats

bats

I have experienced that exact same problem. It is with a Western Digital "Book", I unplugged it one day and the next day it was not recognized in Device Manager or Disk Manager.
    I tried as you all the same solutions but to no avail. I do remember some advice but as a novice I am unable to give it directly. I will relay what I can remember and perhaps one of the Experts here may be able to decipher the solution.
    First , I was told that if you disconnect an external drive while it says, the device is busy, a certain value in the registry is changed and needs to be changed to something else and then it will work once more. Unfortunately, I can only remember part of the registry pathway. It was as follows. Regedit> Hkey_ Current User> Software>Microsoft>Windows>Explorer> Shell Folders and then I believe Cache. In that place, I was instructed to wipe out the data and replace with C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files. DO NOT TRY THIS WITHOUT AN EXPERT SAYING THAT THIS IS THE CORRECT ANSWER. I AM A NOVICE AND JUST RECALLING THIS INFORMATION, SO DON'T DO IT UNTIL IT IS VERIFIED.

2. There exists something called the "Master Boot Record" or MBR and this I am told is something similar to the index section of a Book. Without being able to see this Record your computer does not have any method of figuring out what the file system that has been layed down would be.
    There are tools out there that can possibly fix this but again way outside of what I would be capable of using without an expert guidance.
    Note to EXpert: I am hoping that this knowledge is on the right track and can be useful to find a solution to our problems. I do not like to give this kind of incomplete information out , however as I did not see anything similar I have posted it in good faith it will be helpful under the watchful eye of the experts. If not so please tear it down a.s.a.p. If this was wrong of me please advise as I always wish to be in the good books of this wonderful site. Thank You.

9. Aussie Pom

G'day Bats,
    Thank you for your very informative message. I would certainly like to give your suggestions a go but I hope one of the more Experienced Guys might give me the OK. If any of you readers know if this would work I would appreciate some feed back. Yes Bats this is a fantastic site, I have been helped so many times. I have recommended the site to anybody who has asked me for computer help. It is really great that so many people volunteer their time to help others. Good on you guys.
    Cheers Perry(y)

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

There are clearly more drives down in the list in Disk Management. The scroll-bar on the right is too big for everything to have been seen. Since it is almost impossible for the drive to be recognized as a drive in Device Manager and not be seen at all in Disk Management, please scroll down to the bottom in Disk Management to see if the drive is there. It will only be listed above if mounted correctly.

You might want to just try assigning a drive letter if that is availabl on right-click and the drive is there. If not, try partition recovery. (The MBR is not an index and does not keep track of where files are located.)

Testdisk (for Windows)

Testdisk has the ability to recover lost partitions. But even if you can't do that, it also can help recover files. So if you get your files, you can then delete all the volumes on the drive and create a new one in Disk Management.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Any advice is helpful. Speculation, labelled as such, is also welcome. Honesty is the key. Your comments are welcome since you qualified them so well and didn't presume to send someone down the wrong road. It is appreciated.

12. Aussie Pom

G'day Guys,
    I discovered that my External Hard Drive was still under warranty. I got onto the WD website and had to submit my model number and other details. I should be able to get a replacement. Unfortunately the data will not be there, but thats better than nothing. I have to send the drive by airmail to Malaysia with a RMA number which I have done. It has cost me over $AU50.00.
    I will class this as solved. I appreciate your help and I am getting another external Hard Drive NOT A WD.
    Thank you all. I hope that if I have another computer related problem it will not be for awhile. I will continue watching this site as it is a learning experience
    Cheers Perry From Sunny Queensland.:rolleyes:.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030828

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice