1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External hard Drive Question.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deubanks, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deubanks

deubanks Thread Starter

I have just bought an enclosure and put the 40GB hard drive from my old PC in it. It works great with no problem. It has a two partitions on it.

My question is it normal for it to get the enclosure warm to the touch? The enclosure is a I/O Magic brand with barely enough room for the 3.3" drive. It does not have any vent holes in it.

2. brdalderson

brdalderson

I have mutliple USB caddy's and mine are hot enough to fry an egg on. Unless you want to start hacking the case apart and adding fans or 'Speed holes' thats the way it is unfortunatly.
    Another factore could be the age of the HDD Drive. It probably is no longer running at its optimal levels.
    If you are realy stressed about it i would advise getting a new HDD drive, I mean 500 gigs is worth about $150 now so why wouldnt you????

3. brdalderson

brdalderson

I have mutliple USB caddy's and mine are hot enough to fry an egg on. Unless you want to start hacking the case apart and adding fans or 'Speed holes' thats the way it is unfortunatly.
    Another factore could be the age of the HDD Drive. It probably is no longer running at its optimal levels.
    If you are realy stressed about it i would advise getting a new HDD drive, I mean 500 gigs is worth about $150 now so why wouldnt you????

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, they get warm to the touch. Is it a metal case? I use one with a metal case. It dissipates heat well enough that vent holes seem superfluous. But I did connect the drive firmly with screws to every point inside that I could to facilitate heat transmission, even to the possible extreme of using aluminum straps to make sure all sides were connected.

5. deubanks

deubanks Thread Starter

It is an aluminum case and the drive is fastened in with four screws.

br, it does not get as hot as yours, at least not yet and I will not modify the case.

I will probably get a larger drive sometime and put this one back in the old computer in case I need the PC as a backup, but I don't need one at the present.

Thanks for your replies.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice