Solved: external hard drive/slave drive recovery

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TyStone72

hi guys. the external hard drive, here at work, cannot be detected by any of the computers. my thoughts are that the data was wiped clean. i've removed the hard drive from the case and installed it onto my computer as a slave drive. a) how can i view if these files still exist. and b) if they are missing, can you recommend a software recovery program?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
If it's attached to your computer, you should be able to see any files that are on the drive via my computer / computer (depending on which version of Windows).

As for recovery, Seagate has a program that will show you what might be recoverable. I'm not sure if they charge for the first part or not, but, once you see what can be recovered, the next part of the software is not free.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
You're welcome. If you would share your solution, that will help others in the future.

TyStone72

basically what i did is put the drive in my computer as a slave drive. to view the slave drive i had to create a partition and then format. at which point you can map the drive. in my case i used 'T' for my first name. so once 'my computer' was able to read the T drive, i downloaded a recovery program from the internet and started to do a search for lost data. within 5 minutes it had already found over 700 files. then you have the option to purchase the prgram or not. i didn't. i will probably purchase one from a store or download a different one.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online