Solved: External Hard Drive Transfer rate

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Rebel38668

Quick Question...Hopefully quick answer.

I have a 160gb external hard drive. Using USB 2.0. When I transfer something from my C: drive transfer rate is around 15mbps. But when I transfer something from my D: drive (second hard drive, set as a slave on same IDE channel) the transfer rate is only1.5MBps. Anyone know why I get such loss in transfer speed.

crjdriver

HD to HD should have a faster transfer rate. Check device manager and see if your hd are running in dma mode.

your second HD is prolly running on a slow cable or you have a slower transfer rate on your board, not a problem really, it will just take longer to move your large files

Rebel38668

Thanks for the DMA suggestion. When I look in device manager. I try to change it to DMA if possible but the transfer stays on PIO. Any suggestions on how to get that changed. Since, just manually changing it doesn't work.

crjdriver

Since modern drives average around 40 mps, I would think you have some issue either chipset drivers are not installed, incorrect transfer mode selected, incorrect or old style cable, etc.

crjdriver

Rebel38668 said:
Thanks for the DMA suggestion. When I look in device manager. I try to change it to DMA if possible but the transfer stays on PIO. Any suggestions on how to get that changed. Since, just manually changing it doesn't work.
You have found your problem. I would guess you have not installed the chipset / mb drivers or an incorrect 40 wire cable is being used.

Rebel38668

The PC I have is pretty new. It is a Dell Dimension 2400. Only about 2 years old. I would really like to get this fixed. Any ideas on ow to fix the chipset drivers. Transfer mode on Device 0 and Device 1 are DMA if available. Device 0 Current transfer Mode is Ultra DMA Mode 2. Device 1 Current transfer mode is PIO only. There is no drop down box to change current transfer mode to DMA. Any help is appreciated.

crjdriver

Does the drive in question use an 80 wire cable? You can tell because the cable uses color coded connectors; blue to mb, black to master device, and gray to slave device. If your cable has all gray ends, you are using a 40 wire cable and you will need to swap it if you want dma speed.

Rebel38668

Yeah the drive uses three black connections to mobo, master, and slave. I have changed it to blue to mobo, black to master, and grey to slave. I am still working on it to see if it will go into DMA mode on device 1. Will let ya know what happens. Thanks again!!

Rebel38668

Okay, I am getting frustrated. I have reinstalled the drivers for the chipset on a Dell Dimension 2400. I have changed the cable from mobo to master and slave. And it still tells me that the current transfer mode is PIO on device 1. Any other ideas?

Rebel38668

Just wondering if it could be because my second drive is a 200gb and my mobo might not support that? Could that be the case?

crjdriver

Yes. Have you checked dell's site for any bios updates that address large hd?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online