1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External HD as backup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by plysne, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plysne

plysne Thread Starter

Would there be a problem in getting an external HD running off USB port that I could back up internal HD running XP home addition? I am worried about being able to boot off this drive and have all files copied to the new disk. To copy files can one just drag c:/ to new drive and have all hidden files copied or does one need special copying software to make this function as a totally full back up system? Appreciate your input. Would appreciiate any brand names for hardware/software that you know have worked this way in the past. Plysne

2. rhorne4

rhorne4

Get a maxtor one touch external hard drive.You can back up your system with the touch of o button.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I use Acronis True Image for my image backup needs, and it handles external drives just fine.

To restore the bootable backup image, you just boot the Acronis Recovery CD, and restore the image from the USB/Firewire drive, you're back on-line in minutes.

4. plysne

plysne Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the info on Acronis. Any suggestions on a good 120GB hard disk? The previous reply for Maxtor one button came back with horrible consumer reports. His was the only positive thing I read about it. Always looking for reliable info. Thanks. Everything I read on Acronis was positive. Not a negative one in the bunch.
    Plysne

5. JohnWill

Personally, I buy inexpensive USB/Firewire external cases and install my own hard disks. Much cheaper, and the function just as well as the more expensive spread. Newegg has a bunch of USB external cases, and they've been a very reliable supplier for me.

6. plysne

plysne Thread Starter

Thank you for your money saving help and prompt reply. Your a great asset.
    Plysne

7. JohnWill

Good luck, let us know what you end up with. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330602

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice