1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: external HD burns out HD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jtn3833, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtn3833

jtn3833 Thread Starter

I have an external Hard Drive that I leave turned on all of the time. I recently heard that external HD's are constantly spinning when turned on. Is this true? It seems like a lot of wear and tear on the HD.
    Just a few weeks ago I had the HD in an external HD crash, I'm wondering if this might be some of the cause.

Thanks,
    JTN

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

All hard drives are usually spinning all the time. That's one reason that they access data so much more quickly than CD-ROM's--they don't need to "spin up" to get up to speed. The exception would be if you had settings in Power Options to shut down the drives after a certain idle time. They are designed to withstand this usage, but just turn it off when you are not using the computer.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Before the days of reliable shutdown options, I had hard disks that ran for years. This is not a significant issue. However, I also recommend turning off externals when they're not in use, since another issue is heat buildup in the small external cases. I have four NAS drives here, and all of them have auto-shutdown after a period of inactivity. They stay on 24/7, and run quite cool. The measured power usage when they're powered off is from 7-10 watts, but it jumps up to around 25 when they're spinning the drives and accessing data.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538973

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice