1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External hd for windows xp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Xynd, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Xynd

Xynd Thread Starter

Hi Guys

My computer is Intel E2180 1G ram Windows XP SP2
    I plan to buy a 2TB external harddrive.
    After googling I found out that 2TB is exactly the limit windows XP can handle so I am quite worried.
    Can I just plug to usb & use the harddrive without problem?
    Please advise me

Thank you

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You should be able to use it without problems however I do see one big issue. You have not updated to sp3. You are really asking for a virus, malware, etc by not having up to date patches for the os.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Yes, though I would update to SP3 first!

4. saikee

saikee

Some of the 3TB external hard disks can be used by Xp too. Although 2TB is the limit for the hard disk partitioned with the MSDOS partition table (maximum 4 primary partitions) that assumes each sector is 512 bytes some manufacturers can play trick with the interface. They do this by telling the operating system its sector size larger than sector like 4096 bytes. Thus 3Tb can be used on every operating system I have tried.

These 3TB hard disks will only have trouble if one removes the bare disk and put it inside a PC as an internal hard disk because by then the user will discover the sector size has not been changed at all and the trick is in the USB interface supplied by the manufacturer.

As long as such a hard disk is used externally with the manufacturer's interface 3TB hard disk can be used as as every smaller hard disk.

Internal 3TB hard disks are suitable for 64-bit operating systems when partitioned with the new GPT partition table (max 128 partitions).

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Saikee: The OP said he was buying a 2Tb drive not a 3Tb drive so your post is pointless ;)

6. Xynd

Xynd Thread Starter

Thank you for the information Guys.
    Updating to sp3 should be no problem.

7. saikee

saikee

DaveBurnett,

I am trying to inject additional information relevant to the question. 3TB external hard disks have been sold and used for normal 32-bit MS Windows for a few years already.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice