1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: external HD I/O errors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by begud4me, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. begud4me

begud4me Thread Starter

ok so i use an external HD for all my music, it is a seagate 120 gig. Today i filled it all the way up as i finished ripping my cd collection into mp3 format. As i was adding the new folders into iTunes my op sys (Win Xp Pro) froze up. After i re-started the drive stopped reading all together and just gives me an "I/O drive error" message when i try and access it. I have tried hooking it up to my mac and taking it out of the case and hooking it up as a slave on my pc neither way worked....please any ideas will help as this is like three months worth of cd ripping and music purchases on the line.

2. begud4me

begud4me Thread Starter

really? no one has any ideas on what i can do to get the information off this drive? when i hook it up as a slave my pc says that it is not formatted and asks if i would like too. it also wont let me defragment the drive....i am trying as i tye to run scan/chk dsk via windows.

3. begud4me

begud4me Thread Starter

ok so i am bumping this post, in hopes that some fresh eyes might be able to suggest at least a piece of software that can retrieve the files from this drive. I know there is no way that this some rare isolated incident.

4. ChuckG

ChuckG

I'll assume here that the drive did not have a mechanical failure.

What happen to you sounds similar to what happened to another member a little while back. What I would do is to slave the drive to your PC and then follow what happened in this thread:

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/585139-solved-harddrive-just-died-file.html

If you lost your partition, the software link in the thread will help you.

5. begud4me

begud4me Thread Starter

ok thanks, i will try anything at this point. i will re-post results later this afternoon.

6. begud4me

begud4me Thread Starter

yeah so i couldnt get that program to work on the drive. it would just sit there acting like it was scanning it but the time remaining never changed and it never finished. i am guessing that the drive is a paper weight and i have lost alot of money and time...

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The problem may be that you "filled it up".

If you're ready to toss it, try formatting it again first.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/616188

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice