1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External HD Not Assigned Drive Letter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grtatn, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grtatn

grtatn Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba laptop (Pent IV, 512 RAM, 60 GB HD) running XP Home SP2. I recently purchase a Maxtor 200GB HD and an external USB enclosure. After installing the drive in the enclosure and plugging in the USB it looks like it is recognized (says Maxtor drive recognized, driver is installed, new hardware ready to use), but it is not assigned a letter when I click on "my computer" so I can't do anything with it.

After reading an earlier thread, I attempted to format the drive by: clicking on My Computer, clicked "manage", and "disk management". In the main window of this screen only my C: drive is listed. In the drop down list below the main window are listed: disk 0 - C:, and then under that disc 1 - unallocated 189.93GB, then under that my CD/DVD. If I right click on dick 1 I do not get an option to format - only "properties" and "help". In "properties" under the "general" tab it says "Device is working properly".

How can I format this drive and get a drive letter assigned to it?

Thanks for your help!

2. saikee

saikee

You need to partition first and format it second.

Pretty standrad in any hard disk application. Pay to know it.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    do you get the option to Partition the drive or initialize the drive? It must be partitioned before you can format it.

4. grtatn

grtatn Thread Starter

I think that I do have an option to partition the drive within the "properties" section of disk management. I thought I had to format it first...

5. grtatn

grtatn Thread Starter

I've partitioned and then formatted the drive. Thanks for your help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice