1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External HD Not Formated

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ruari, Apr 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ruari

Ruari Thread Starter

Hope you can help

Apparently my 250Gb external hard drive is not formated. I was 4 days ago with over 70Gb on data on it.

is there any way I can recover this, or is my goose well and truly cooked:(

2. Flags

Flags

Ruari: If it wasn't formatted, how did you get data on it?
    Does My Computer recognize it? If it does, then you can probably recover the data.

3. Ruari

Ruari Thread Starter

Maybe I should have been a bit clearer from the start.

I have an external drive which was working fine last weekend. I come home this weekend and when I try to access it to save or explore, it comes up with the error message "This drive is not formated. Would you like to format it now"

I'm trying a utility called "GetDataBack for FAT32" at the moment but it's taken nearly 4 hours to read 3/4 of the disk.

And yes, it is recognised in Windows, just that it's RAW, not FAT 32 as it was. Should I have converted it to NTFS when I got it as I'm running XP?

4. Ruari

Ruari Thread Starter

sorted it

As I said I was using a utility called "GetDataBack" and it worked. Cost $70 odd, but worth it

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/456839

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice