1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External HD not recognised

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cloudburst7, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cloudburst7

cloudburst7 Thread Starter

I have an LG 500GB external HD which I use to back up photos and so on.

Today when I tried to connect it I got a message to say that the device was not recognised. Now it will not register at all - when I connect it to the PC (I have tried on 2 separate machines) the LED does not light, there is no sign of life from the HD.

Is there anything I can try?

I had been planning to buy a new one as an extra back up but was going to wait until after next pay day. Typical :(

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Some LG drives I think have the ability to connect with two usb cables one for power and one for data, designed that way to overcome the power limitations on a usb port

You have not provided the model, but of course you will know if yours is one of these.

As it does not work on another computer I would try another cable
    Then if it still does not work I would if it is possible take the drive out of the enclosure and connect it to a computer wither externally in another enclosure or dock or internally - presuming it is SATA no setting necessary if it is by any chance PATA, as slave of course if internal - either slave on jumper or cable select depending on connection.

3. cloudburst7

Many thanks for replying. Yes, it did come with a Y shaped cable and also a very short connector. I've always used the short cable but today also tried with the other one. It still doesn't work but you've given me hope that at least the data can be recovered somehow.

I will try another machine, another cable, and if still no luck will have a look at taking it out - or at least will ask someone else to try for me.

Thanks again.

4. Macboatmaster

It may of course prove that the data has been corrupted but I would expect some result when you connected, even if the drive was not accesssible

5. Macboatmaster

cloudburst7
    Did you make any progress please

6. cloudburst7

Hey, thanks and sorry for not responding sooner.

Having tried various cables and various machines without success, I opened it up and have just connected it via a SATA/USB convertor and - it works!!! It is currently copying data across.

I only bought the cable a week or so go to recover old photos from an old HD I had here but it's now proved itself doubly useful.

Many thanks for the responses.

7. Macboatmaster

Good news
    Pleased I was on the right line
    Mark your topic solved please by clicking on the mark solved button on your post

Sorry seen you have done that now.
    Regards Hope all is OK

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086975

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice