1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: EXTERNAL HD Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by prgriffin1, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. prgriffin1

prgriffin1 Thread Starter

My external hard drive (Seagate Free agent Pro 750gb) is not showing up on my computer, and it's not showing connection even in the disk management. I've checked the cords (USB and Power) several times, and they are connected correctly. I was able to get the drive to connect one time, but it showed my external as empty (I've used all but 350gb). I then disconnected it and powered it down. Now every time I turn the hard drive on it flashes repeatedly until I unplug the drive b/c it won't let me power it down. It's disk sounds like it's spinning normally with no bumps or scratches. I haven't dropped it, it's been sitting on my desk almost the entire time that I've had it. I've blown out the bottom in case there was any dust.

Does anyone know what's going on with this thing? I'm kinda lost with what to do or check next.

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

Have you tried it out on another computer to check to see if it works? If it does, I be suspicious of the usb connection itself. If it doesn't work on another sytem, and you have data your looking at another problem. The larger Externals have known issues with OSs. Let us know what's happening and what you determine. Jazz

3. prgriffin1

prgriffin1 Thread Starter

I've connected it to 2 other computers and had the same result. I'm running vista on my computer and my friends is xp. I also tried using different USB cords as well. I let the hard drive sit for about 2 hours when I finally got frustrated and plugged it back in and it's seems to be working now. Perhaps it was an overheating issue, or the disc is just going bad.

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

Maybe it just needed to reset itself. Their touchy. Apparently it prefers to have you mad at it, as opposed to the nice thing. LOL. Glad it's up and running and I would suggest if you have files on it you like you need to find a second way of saving them for future just in case it is going bad. Cheaper in the end. Thanks for letting us know...Jazz

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!