1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External HD to External HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Problematicguy, Apr 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Problematicguy

Problematicguy Thread Starter

My desktop is not reading a brand new external hd I bought....."SimpleDriveExternalStorage160Gb7200RPM" IT says its in RAW format.It does recognize its there though. But I plug it into my Sony Vaio laptop and it reads all the data on it without a problem. Its got 60 gigs of music. I had the same problem with another external hd (lacie) I had, but I used norton partition magic to reformat it. I was able to get it to work on the desktop pc using fat 32. So what im doing is copying all the data from the simpledrive via usb (1.1) using the laptop to the formatted fat 32 lacie drive. Its taking forever. Is there a quicker way? And why is my desktop unable to read two brand new plug n play external hds without me having to format them?

Sorry if I posted in the wrong place.
    Ty

John

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, it would help to know what make/model the desktop motherboard was, as well as the version and patch level of Windows you run.

3. Problematicguy

4. Problematicguy

5. JohnWill

That's pretty odd. You're saying one external is recognized, and the other one isn't?

Does the one that's not recognized come up with any errors in Device Manager? Have you tried different USB connections?

6. Problematicguy

Tried all the usb connectors on the mb. Its just weird to me that the desktop computer did not recognize either one until I reformatted one to fat 32. But the laptop can read both in their natural format style. The desktop read them in RAW.
    I had never even heard of RAW before, new to me. I am just going to transfer all 60 gigs of music from one xternal hd to the good one (though it will take about 7 hours eta). No errors in the device manager. Windows kept telling me it wasnt formatted, but couldnt format it. I was able to format the first one using norton partition magic.

7. JohnWill

I can't imagine why XP doesn't recognize the NTFS volume, I've never seen that here, and I have half a dozen USB & Firewire disks formatted NTFS. All my machines access them just fine, using Vista, XP, and 2K.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

"I had the same problem with another external hd (lacie) I had,"

So you had the same problem with two external hard drives?

Perhaps the motherboard is having problems with it's USB ports.

Have you tried getting something like a USB 2.0 PCI card.

9. Problematicguy

Yea, its weird, but thats whats happening. Im about to move in about a month. After that, I will probably upgrade to a better desktop combination. Ty for your advice.

10. Problematicguy

Honestly hadnt thought of getting a usb card. I might try that. The first external harddrive I had to reformat was a lacie....lol. The other one is also an off the wall brand. Maybe thats what I get for chosing price over a reputable name. Who knows. Thanks for all you guys help.

John

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Not that expensive or difficult to try.

If it works then great.
    If not you can return it.

12. Problematicguy

I didnt try the pci card, I have determined its my Mobo. It is prejudice against external hard drives.lol. My gfriends pc and my laptop read it just fine, but my desktop couldnt read it as being NTFS. Funny thing is my windows is in NTFS. Anyways, I just reformatted the external hard drive to fat 32 as I did with the other one I already used that remedy with. Its not fixing the problem, just putting a band aid on it, but both file systems are read by it, so its fine by me. I know its a motherboard issue, so as soon as I can, I plan on upgrading my desktop.

Thanks for all the suggestions,

John

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Likely that is the case. Just trying to suggest a possible less expensive solution.

14. JohnWill

Personally, I think it's some software issue. I can't imagine how the MB would make the distinction between NTFS and FAT32, that's an operating system issue. At the worst, reloading Windows would probably address this issue.

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You can always try a Knoppix CD
    http://www.knoppix.com/

If the USB ports work as needed, then it is a software issue. Reinstall the OS and all motherboard drives.

If not, it is a hardware issue. Get a PCI USB 2.0 card.

At least you don't have to do a full reinstall to find out.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!