1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gorper999, Nov 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gorper999

gorper999 Thread Starter

I have the HD from my old XP Computer.I now have a new Win7.What do I have to purchase to view my old HD on the new computer?I do not want to transfer any files.

2. C141

C141

3. gorper999

gorper999 Thread Starter

So I will need the adapter and the enclosure,or do they come together?

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If the new computer is a desktop you may be able to connect the old hard drive inside it's case.

We will need to know what motherboard is in the desktop as well as the new drive type, IDE/PATA or SATA, as already asked by C141.

5. C141

C141

Simply purchase one or the other. Either the adapter or an enclosure. The adapter option allows hooking up without the need of an enclosure. Either one will come with everything you'll need.

And, like Managed said, you might also have the option of connecting the old hard drive inside your case.

You need to reply back with the info Managed requested.

6. gorper999

gorper999 Thread Starter

My new unit has SATA,my old one was a Dell desktop.How do I determine kind?My new one is AMD Processor.

7. AtlasG

AtlasG Banned

Open it up and look. The processor doesn't matter. All that matters is how the drive is connected. If it's a big, wide cable, that's PATA. If it's a a little skinny connector, it's SATA.

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Or look at the actual drives, this pic is for laptop drives but the larger desktop drive connectors look very similar.

[​IMG]

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1078556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice