1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deubanks, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deubanks

deubanks Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Maxtor OneTouch 500G hard drive that has a ;ot of information on it but is not full.
    It suddenly will not let me access it. It says that I have to format it before I can use it. When I go to computer and right click and select properties, it shows there is 0 used space and 0 empty space.

When I do a test on it from the Maxtor Manager, it says that it is working properly. I have not formatted it yet.

Does anyone know if there is a way to ssave the data that is on it?

2. Freemorrison

Freemorrison

3. deubanks

deubanks Thread Starter

I am using Vista Home Premium.

Can not take ownership of the drive. It does not show a security tab when I click on properties as per instructions. It shows a completely filled in blue circle with 0 data and 0 free space.

4. Freemorrison

Freemorrison

I have XP Pro and phantom010 helped me with a similar problem ( zero bytes - no accesses- when I knew there was music and pictures there)
    I have heard this will work for XP or Vista? Worked for me.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

5. deubanks

deubanks Thread Starter

When I follow the instructions in the above link, there is no security tab after I select properties on the drive in Computer.

When I select tools and select check drive, it says that it cannot check because the drive is not formatted.

6. Freemorrison

Freemorrison

Are you in safe mode trying this?

7. Freemorrison

Freemorrison

You may have to check if windows is detected the hard drive,

Connect it and then right click on Computer,

Select Manage,

Click on Disk Management,

If you can see your external hard drive! Just right click on it and change the path Letter, for example if it's H:

Change it to I:

8. Freemorrison

Freemorrison

9. deubanks

deubanks Thread Starter

The drive shows up in computer but does not show the bar that tells how much of it has been used.

It also shows up in computer management but will not let me rename it. When I try, it says that it needs to be formatted.

In computer management, it says Healthy Active primary partition and shows the file system as Raw. What does RAW file system mean?

I have not tried it in safe mode yet.

10. Freemorrison

Freemorrison

11. deubanks

deubanks Thread Starter

I finally formatted the drive and it is now working correctly. It would not do the quick format and took over five hours to format it.

Most of what was on it was weekly backups and I can start anew since the computer has not crashed. There was other data on, it but I have most of it on a DVD or the hard drive.

Thanks for all of the replies.

12. Freemorrison

Freemorrison

Happy New Year to the 5 hour format "quick fix" !
    Glad it's working now.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/888614

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice