Solved: External HDD not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

burnout441

Hello all,

my Maxtor 3200 500 gig external usb hdd has stopped functioning on my laptop. If I reboot my laptop with it plugged in, the computer freezes and will not start unless I unplug it. It is recognized under the device manager when plugged in...however it gives error code 10 (this device cannot start). I uninstalled the driver, and tried reinstalling, but it still gives the same error code. I plugged it into another laptop of mine, and it does not recognize the drive either. I have had it for about three years, and it just stopped working yesterday. Please please please help me...my life is on there!!!

I am running on a Sony Vaio laptop, Windows XP media centre edition SP3.

Any suggestions would greatly appreciated....even if I can't get the drive working on my computer, is there ANY other way of me retrieving the data from the drive???

Please help!!! Thanks in advance.

The problem could be the enclosure and not the drive, itself. Remove the drive from the enclosure and connect it internally to a desktop computer. Let us know your result.

burnout441

I will see if I can try that...but that is easier said than done. I don't have a desktop, only my laptop that I bought because I moved cities.

burnout441

Actually, I could probably find a different enclosure easier than finding someone's desktop to borrow and install my drive into. Do you think that would be worth trying?

Not as good but worth a try. Better still, remove the drive from the enclosure. Take it to a local shop and ask them to test it. They might do it for free on speculation that if it is bad they might sell you another.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Something like one of These is handy to have around

burnout441

sorry for the late reply....but yes, it was the casing! Replaced it, and the hdd works fine!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!