1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External HDD or Thermaltake Internal HDD Dock

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Clarion5, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clarion5

Clarion5 Thread Starter

I'm in the market for a new hard drive since my WD 250GB external is getting full. I was looking for a 1TB hard drive, and I came across this docking port for internal hard drives (btw I have a laptop). http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8990443&type=product&id=1218007083869. I'm not sure what to do, many external hard drives get so many mixed reviews its frustrating trying to believe them all. I'm not so worried about which type is the fastest in data transfer (although I don't want to sit there for days transferring a 10GB file), but I'm more concerned about the reliability. My external has been working for almost three years now and I had a laptop in the past with a failed HDD. Therefore, I'm looking to you for advice. If this Thermaltake thing is worthless, which brand of external HDD do you recommend? If it is something worth investing in, which brand of internal HDD do you recommend. Thank you very much!!!

2. Redbluffian

Redbluffian

I have been using the Thermaltake BlacX USB Dock for quite a while now with no problems. I have a 1 TB drive in the dock all the time. It is my backup drive. If I had it to do over I would probably just install the drive in the machine, because SATA is faster then USB. The hot swappable feature of the dock is the main feature I was looking for. Keep in mind that the BlacX only accepts SATA drives and not ATA or IDE

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/860898

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice