1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External HDD Power Adaptor: matching of amps?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Addiead0725, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Addiead0725

Addiead0725 Thread Starter

Hello all,

I'm currently at work and being a new IT tech, I'm fuzzy about amp measurements in terms of power supplies and their matching power cords (that plug directly into electrical outlets). I have an external HDD that requires a 12V 4.0amp power adaptor and I have found a brick piece that will handle the power correctly for the HDD. As for the secondary cord that plugs into the outlet and the brick, I could only find a cord that can handle 2.5amps (at least thats what the tag on the wire says). I'd like to know if this will or will not work, and any advice on the relative subject would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

Assuming the polarity of your brick is correct there should be no problem.The 2.5a power cord is designed for mains voltage in New Jersey is that 112v?.Volts times amps=watts so 112 time 2.5=280watts.The 4amp brick at 12volts would only be running a maximum of 48 watts.

3. Addiead0725

Addiead0725 Thread Starter

ok thanks for clearing that up lozzy, I just didn't want any chance of that cord melting or damaging anything to the external HDD.

I appreciate the basic physics lesson haha, worked out to my benefit since it solved my support request here at my firm. thanks again

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026178

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice