1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External HDD Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ASS4SS1N, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ASS4SS1N

ASS4SS1N Thread Starter

I bought an external HDD, TOSHIBA HDDR250E03X 250GB. It's only USB powered. I tried to plug it into my front USB ports on my PC. The light on it will come on, but nothing happens, it won't spin, and nothing shows up in the MyComputer folder. So, it looks like it's under-powered. It's weird, because I have 4 different external HDDs from different manufacturers and I never had this problem. What puzzles me more, though, is this - when I plug it into my USB hub, the PC finds the drive, but starts the 'New hardware wizzard' and starts looking for the drivers... There are no drivers for any HDDs... Of course, Windows XP cannot find any drivers, so, I get message telling me the HDD wasn't properly installed and it will not run correctly. Then the balloon disappears and I can't find the HDD anymore. If I cancel the wizzard, I get the same message and it disappears. Now, if I plug the HDD into the back USB port on the motherboard, it runs perfectly, never asks for any drivers... Then I tried to plug it into my laptop running Vista Home Premium and I get the same problem, the New hardware wizzard starts and Vista is looking for the drivers... And it can't find them of course, so, it doesn't work. This is really frustrating. I contacted the Toshiba Tech support 2 times, but they don't care to reply... Nice...
    Does anybody have any idea what might be the problem?
    Thanx.

:confused::confused::mad::mad::confused::confused:

2. bigbear

bigbear

If the drive is just usb powered it should have a Y shaped usb lead that uses two usb ports to power the drive

3. ASS4SS1N

ASS4SS1N Thread Starter

These don't have it, it's just a single VERY short cable, mini USB on one end and regular on the other.

4. ASS4SS1N

ASS4SS1N Thread Starter

SOLVED IT!!! I finally found out what the problem is. Apparently, Windows Vista Service Pack 1 deletes a certain file needed for running USB devices and Vista cannot re-create it by itself. So, the only solution is to reinstall Vista, update all your drivers, reinstall SP 1 and hope that the file won't be deleted again... My reinstall didn't delete it and now everything is running fine. On my XP machine, it looks like my front USB port is underpowered a little bit. I still took the drive back, simply because Toshiba did not care to reply...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/733565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice