1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External Hdd stripdown

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bri176, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bri176

bri176 Thread Starter

I have a LaCie 500gb external Hdd and I'm trying to put a NTFS partition on (It's FAT at present). Paragon 9 won't do it, PM8 won't recognise USB drive in DOS enviroment. If I strip it down will there be an ATA drive in there that I could put in a PC to partition it as a slave drive?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If all you want to do is to create an NTFS partition then Windows will do that without any third party utilities by simply using Disk Management.

If there is no data on the drive simply delete the existing partition and create a new one. If there is data on the partition that you need to keep then copy it off the drive and then delete the FAT32 partition and create the new one.

There's also a Convert program included with Windows XP that lets you convert a FAT32 partition to a NTFS partition with no data loss but it sometimes results in large cluster sizes and reduces the efficiency of the partition so deleting the existing partition and creating a new one is the best way to go.

Disk Management: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

And yes, there shoudl be a regular 3.5" PATA IDE or SATA hard drive inside the enclosure that can be use internally.

3. bri176

bri176 Thread Starter

Sorry I'm late wife and G kids arrived. Thats the problem, There is about 200Gb of data which I can't store anywhere and I need a NTFS partition on the drive. I will try to find convert then I might be able to swap data to each partition and format seperate each partition at a time. Many thanks will let you know if it works.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  5. bri176

bri176 Thread Starter

Got as far inputting volume label in CMD Prompt but whatever I put in it says it's wrong.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What is the drive letter and name of the drive in My Computer? As long as it matches it should work.

7. bri176

bri176 Thread Starter

Figured it out.That was prob in Pm8 it said "Local Disk" thats what I was typing, so I typed in LACIE and it worked. Now it is NTFS. Oh Dear!!!! in Pm8 and Comp management both now recognise drive as LACIE but in My Computer there is no reference to it being there only C, D and E + the two DVD drives and Floppy.

8. bri176

bri176 Thread Starter

Update: noticed there was no drive letter so I assigned one in Comp management et voila I can access all files ( thank God )Gonna try to create a partition now then format/swap data over/format other many thank s Trple6 for convert tip.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/784124

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice