1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External hdds preventing boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PSCO2007, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PSCO2007

PSCO2007 Thread Starter

This is a strange problem .Last night, I wanted to put the computer to sleep, as I always do at night.

The mouse was frozen and the keyboard Sleep function didn't work.

I thought a reboot would solve it, but upon restarting, the computer would not boot.

I went through the Repair Option, Safe - nothing worked.

I decided to do a System Restore with an Acronis Backup image, and that also failed to allow boot.

I thought I might have a bad hdd, and was starting to shut down the comp to replace it, so I unplugged the external drives and all of a sudden it worked. ( after reboot I ran full Diagnostic test and it is fine).

Any idea what could have caused this - BTW : the hdds are now plugged in and everything is fine.

After I unplugged the hdds and rebooted, my CPU went from a normal 5% to 75% - now back to normal.

Last thing: after I rebooted last night, I put the computer to Sleep, only to have it wake up on its own - that problem is also corrected.

I am wondering if a component is starting to fail - hope not, this comp is only 3 months old.

Thanks,

Paul

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I would never put a computer to sleep with external drives still attached. In my opinion that is asking for trouble.
    It is possible that a minor power surge affected some of the circuitry in the external drive that would only be reset when the drive is re-initialised.

3. PSCO2007

PSCO2007 Thread Starter

When I had previously spoken to WD, they said the external drives could always stay connected, so I am a little confused as to your reply.
    When I unplugged the hdds, the comp booted immediately.

Wouldn't a power surge affect the other devices (printers, tv external device, etc)

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Are you basing this on hard facts? I've always left external drives connecting when the computer goes into stand by.

5. DaveBurnett

I'm basing it on the fact that over the 30 or so years I've been looking after computers, I've seen more failures where external drives have been left on and connected when the machine has been slept, hibernated or powered off than those that were disconnected.

Not necessarily a power surge, more of a signal fluctuation or spike.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Well, Dave, I guess you and I have had very different experiences. I didn't know external hard drives were in use 30 years ago. What external drive technology are you referring to from 1982?

I've been leaving my external hard drive on and connected since Windows XP days. Never had (or heard of) any kind of "power surge" problem.

What the poster describes sounds more like a one-time glitch.

7. PSCO2007

PSCO2007 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.(y)

I never had that problem before or since - I've been leaving them connected for many years.

The problem is gone, but I would really like to know what could have caused it.

8. DaveBurnett

Syquest parallel port drives, then Zip later.

9. PSCO2007

PSCO2007 Thread Starter

Don't know what you mean.:confused:

10. DaveBurnett

I was replying to DoubleHelix: :rolleyes:

11. PSCO2007

PSCO2007 Thread Starter

Since you didn't quote Doublehelix, I thought the reply was for me.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

12. DaveBurnett

Your problem could have been a stray cosmic ray :D

13. PSCO2007

PSCO2007 Thread Starter

You have been extremely helpful - pleasure dealing with you.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1063945

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice