1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External Monitor Shows Wallpaper Only

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by swanny65, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swanny65

swanny65 Thread Starter

I have connected our Acer Aspire 7520 laptop to our Panasonic TX-P50x10B TV using a VGA cable. I managed to set up the external monitor through display in the control panel and clicked the "Extend my Windows desktop to this monitor".

However the external monitor only shows the wallpaper from the laptop - no desktop icons, start menu etc. After a short while the mouse pointer appears on the TV screen and "leaves" the laptop. I guess i choose a wrong option when i changed the settings but i cant correct this.

I have read that unchecking extend my desktop to this display might solve the problem, however this shows a black screen on my external monitor.

Any ideas how do i get the desktop items on the external monitor???

The laptop is running Vista.

Thanks for looking

2. helpful

helpful

This is by design and normal as the extend feature allows the desktop to span two monitors.

If you want to clone monitors use the Nview control panel applet. On the side menu select “nView Display Settings” then select Clone for the “nView Display Mode".

3. swanny65

swanny65 Thread Starter

Working, Thanks very much.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/889363