1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External Monitor to Laptop issue!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ImCasul, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ImCasul

ImCasul Thread Starter

Hello!
    I recently purchased an external monitor (BenQ EW2740L) for use with a PS4 console, however I thought I would try to connect it to my Laptop (ASUS N550JV - Running windows 8). I was trying to connect the two with a HDMI cable as my laptop doesn't have ports to fit the supplied D-Sub cable. Long story short, My computer detected and installed the monitor but im presented with a black screen and the monitor gives the message "No Cable connected". I've tried the Fn + F8 option of projecting to a second screen however no luck.
    Also my Computer and the monitor both have a native contrast of 1920x1080 if that helps.

What am I doing wrong?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi ImCasul, and welcome to TSG.

Check the monitor's user manual to see if you need to use the monitor's on screen setup menus to manually select the HDMI port as an input.

3. SM4SH

SM4SH

I have had this issue with my TV before. my solution was to lower my resolution. even though my TV advertised 1920x1080, and it came up as the recommended resolution, it still didn't work I had to lower it one notch and it started working just fine.

4. ImCasul

ImCasul Thread Starter

Thank you!
    I feel incredibly stupid now but the monitor had a sneaky set of input menu buttons, works a treat :D

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You're most welcome and don't be feeling stupid. Some monitors have a dumb design that does not automatically detect and switch to the given input when only one input is being driven.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1127079

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice