1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External SSD: internal connectors aren't what I hoped

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rickyjo, Dec 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickyjo

rickyjo Thread Starter

Good evening, all!
    I traded for an external SSD on craigslist with the baseless expectation that inside I would find a typical internal SSD (like you generally see with external platter drives). To my surprise, the contacts that peak out of the shell, are the only contacts it has! It's a micro-usb with a supplemental connector, I believe it's a USB 3.0 Micro-B plug:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Clarification: this is the cable that would plug into the SSD; my SSD does not have built-in male connectors

I'm not seeing any adapters from Micro-b to Sata, and if I did I don't know what kind of performance hit I would take. Another thought would be just running my operating system over USB3. It's Cyber Monday and I've got my eye on this 128GB SSD for $50: http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-2-5-Inch-SV300S37A-120G/dp/B00A1ZTZOG/ref=pd_cp_pc_0. Money is a little tight, can that stupid external be salvaged for significant performance increases over platter? Or do I have to spring the money?
    Thank you!

2. rickyjo

rickyjo Thread Starter

Couldn't find anything and decided to make the purchase before bed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1138474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice