1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External USB HD issue...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by donny898, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. donny898

donny898 Thread Starter

USB is picked up on the system (XP Pro) but when I go to my computer no external drive shows up...I think I have to format it...how do I solve this problem?

Thank you

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Storage - Disk Management (from memory...)
    Select the unformatted drive and format it.

3. nathane

nathane

Right click on "my computer" (either on the desktop or in the start menu) and click "manage". On the left is an item called "disk managment". You probably need to initialise the device too. Is the device pre-made from a large retailer (Like Kmart or wallamart) or did you get a computer shop to "build" it. If the latter, you will need to initialise the device. This is done in the same disk managment windows as before. You will see a drive labeled "Not initialised". Right click ---> initialise. This will bring up the disk initialisation wizard. Then make the partition.

4. donny898

donny898 Thread Starter

Thank you...it's sorted.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/691711

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice