1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: extremely hot toshiba laptop,

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bp936, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

Just got a new Toshiba Sattelite A100 laptop and I wonder if anyone else has the same problem, can't work on it for more than 15 minutes without feeling extreme heat coming from the front.:eek: I use it yes, on my lap and it wants to burn me.
    I had another Toshiba for 7 years and never had this problem with it, except the screen died and needed a bigger harddrive, so I wanted to replace it with a new Toshiba, I had good luck with the old one but this 3 day old one is driving me crazy.:mad:
    Are all new brands that hot? Does it make sense to return it and get another brand? Everything else seems to work fine. I would appreciate any feedback and advise

2. replay

replay

3 days old and it wants to burn your lap!!!! i would return that sucka asap.........

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The A100 should not be getting that hot.

I agree with the above, take it back!

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Most laptops cool by drawing air from the bottom. If you aren't obstructing the air ports, I would return it.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

And heat should not be coming "from the front"!

6. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

update, first thank you guys, I brought the laptop back and they exchanged it without a problem. The fan never came on. Unfortunately the same thing happens to this other new laptop, with the fan working it still gets very hot.
    How do I know how high the temperature can climb before it becomes dangerous?. I installed "speedfan" , it shows around 105F or 42 C degrees.
    And yes kiwi, the most heat comes from the front right under the touchpad and the CPU and memory is there, not the harddrive. It has a lot of holes opening yo the front. A fanhole is on the bottom and the exhaust is at the left side.
    Is it possible to have 2 computers faulty or is it just that I am used to a 6 year old Toshiba and now all new laptops run much hotter?
    "I might change my nickname to -paranoid+

7. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

42C isn't at all danderous for a CPU temp.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

9. erick295

erick295

Laptops don't need to be ventilated from underneath -- they are made to sit on a surface. Air moves through the sides, not the bottom. The sensation might be alarming if you aren't used to a newer, faster, hotter laptop, but it's definitely nothing to worry about. It's a machine, and machines generate heat. Even my old Dell, which is only a Pentium III, gets hot to the touch when the CPU is put under a load. As long as your CPU temperature is okay (and 42 is most definitely okay), you have nothing to worry about.

10. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

thanks Eric, yes the old toshiba was just warm compared to this new toshiba, I was just worried that this unit might be faulty. Do you know if software can really tell how hot the CPU gets? Does S.M.A.R.T warn me it it gets too hot, do computers shut down when too hot? Toshiba site doesn't give any info.
    I am so used to the old computers, where I never had to worry about these things.
    thanks again for any info

11. erick295

erick295

The motherboard has thermal sensors and a shutdown temperature -- if the computer gets to this temperature, it will turn off. Check the BIOS for specific settings. And yes, software can give you the CPU temperature. It reads the thermal sensors on the motherboard. Sometimes it can be off by a little, but usually not very much. You don't have to worry about this as long as you aren't blocking any air. The people who design these laptops are well aware of how hot their components get, and they come with sufficient cooling.

CPU's and other components build up a lot of heat, and it does have to go somewhere, so of course you're going to feel it ;)

12. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I think you need to go to a large computer store and look at the bottoms of all the laptops. When you have done that, please come back and explain to all of us what those ventilation ports are for.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

BP936,
    While I don't doubt laptop makers realize laptops get hot, as Alex says, there are vents on the bottom of laptops for a reason, and also usually feet so beware statements like Erick295, you could get into serious trouble. The laptop is a man made machine, and while it should shut down if too hot, remember if it fails to, you might have a fire...be careful. Laptop underside coolers are made to handle a problem, and they do add another layer of security.

14. brite750

brite750

you mean Ive been sticking my cd's in the ventilation slots, crap:D

15. erick295

erick295

You buy rust undercoating, don't you? :p

I assure you that the CPU would fail (200 degrees) long before it ignited (just a guess, 1000 degrees or more).

Laptops are, quite literally, designed to sit on your lap. The fact that there are vents on the bottom doesn't mean you can't set it on something. What, are you supposed to balance it on its side while you're using it?

The bottom line is, the CPU temp is 42, so there's obviously not a heat issue here. And there shouldn't be, because it's being used for what it's designed for.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!