1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Extremely Slow Bootup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by johnnieq, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

Windows XP Pro SP2
    Intel P4 3.2GHz
    4 GB DDR RAM

When booting it is extremely slow, taking 20 minutes just to see the Windows is starting message. But Windows never does seem to completely finish loading. Icons & wallpaper finally do appear, but the hourglass remains and you are unable to do anything. (after 4 hours!)

Safe mode is the same.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

johnnieq

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    With an Intel Pentium IV 3.2 GHz processor and 4,096 MB of RAM, that computer should fly. Something is wrong somewhere.

What is the brand name, model name, and model number of that computer?

Can you post a HijackThis log here?

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

This is a computer I built for a neighbour several years ago with all high-end components. Money was no object.

I can't get a Hijack log; as I explained it never completely finishes booting. I was thinking it was a driver failing to load, but Safe Mode does no better. I retried Safe Mode several times now and you never get as far as you do in Normal mode, which is very odd.

I popped in 4 GBs of new RAM. Still the same.

I may have to pull the hard drive, back up their data and do a clean install. As long as that may take, it will probably be faster than the hours I'm wasting waiting for boot-up to complete.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I agree. A hard drive format and fresh install of XP sounds like the best option.

4 GB of RAM is overkill with XP. 2 GB is plenty. I don't believe XP will recognize or use more than 3 GB anyway, unless it's a 64-bit version.

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

It's the 32 bit version. I believe it can utilize a max of 3.5 GB of RAM. At the time I built this one the owener wanted it maxed out. :)

I just pulled the drive. It will be my slave as soon as I reboot. Thanks for your feedback!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758928

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice