1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Fable TLC Error (0x80040241)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Sikktwizted, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sikktwizted

Sikktwizted Thread Starter

Alright so I searched all over the internet for an answer to this and I'm generally pretty good at finding things but the answer to this problem has eluded me. My problem is that whenever I start the game, the beginning intro video skips and I get the error "Unable to play video. Please check that your video and audio hardware are working correctly. Error Code: 0x80040241". Any further non-graphic generated videos in the game (.wmv) skip as well without an error message. You can view the image below for the error screen.

http://postimage.org/image/5f3olt8lz/

Does anyone know how to fix this? The game runs fine (despite a sound problem which I will describe below in a second) other than this.

Now as for the sound problem, the sound seems to glitch out a lot and I won't be able to hear the background stuff very often. One example I have is where the bandits break in to oakvale in the beginning of the game. In the graphic video a guy gets shot with an arrow and one of the bandits exclaims "Got one!". The sound from the arrow hitting the guy can't be heard, and I'm sure there was music at this part as well last time I played. Does anyone know what the problem here could be?

I dislike asking others for help because I like to fix problems myself but I looked hard and couldn't find any conclusive information on what to do to fix this problem.

2. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

3. Sikktwizted

Yes I read that earlier today while I was looking through the small amount of information relating to this error. To my knowledge I haven't downloaded any codec packs, though perhaps I do need to reinstall Windows Media Player, however I am not entirely sure how to do this. Would there maybe be some way to reinstall that specific codec?

It's odd because the videos run fine in WMP themselves but they error in the game.

Edit: I tried updating my Windows 7 and I tried reinstalling Windows Media Player. Neither of these things seemed to work :|. I'm starting to wonder if my problem is even solvable. It's too bad this game is so old, there isn't really support for it anymore.

Edit2: I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone could help me out here. I spent 20 on this game (which is quite a lot, most places have it for 10) and I really want to play it again, but I just can't do it without the story scenes.

Edit3: Until someone comes up with any ideas as to fixing this, I will keep trying to find them myself. I've visited probably around 25 pages trying various things to get it to work and so far no luck. This is one of the most frustrating games I've ever tried to get to work properly. I never usually have unsolvable problems on games, not even the old ones.

Edit4: Well I guess I'm just screwed on this game then, seems like no one wants to bother to help or no one knows how to help. Oh well :\.

4. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Well, not that we don't want to help, just maybe we don't know any more than you do at this point. And as a free help site it can take a few days for "the right" people to see your post.
    It is an old game, that alone can be an issue for Windows 7.
    Have you tried installing it in compatibility modes? XP service pack 2 perhaps.
    Maybe a 3rd party codec pack would work in this case.

5. Sikktwizted

Yeah which is why I said, "or no one knows how to help".

I've never had problems with old games before, and this problem is a weird one at that. First time I've had an error relating to a codec like this, it's odd.

I tried XP service pack 2 but that didn't work sadly.

What codec pack would you suggest?

6. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Hmm, good question. I haven't messed with codecs since XP days. I think Divx still offers codec packs. not sure if it would include a better wmp one or not. you can try the official MS one first I guess. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=507

No idea about K-lite pack but seems to be pretty highly rated. http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_codec_pack.htm

I was thinking, it's a microsoft game, is there a patch for windows 7?
    I found a "fix" for sound blaster audigy cards, not sure if that would help. http://www.gamefront.com/files/listing/pub2/fable-the-lost-chapters

Edit: I see your all over google now with that error. :D 4 different forums. So I'm stumped too, it's either a codec or your video card is unsupported.

7. Sikktwizted

Yeah I tried to install the Microsoft codec pack and it said it was for 2000, ME, XP operating systems only and all that. It wouldn't install on my system. I don't think installing a codec pack is really going to do anything anyway honestly, I mean I have both of the codecs that it needs for video and audio. It just uses the normal WMP ones, but I have no clue what the problem with them could be.

From what I've seen there is no patch for Windows 7. I think the game actually works on most peoples W7 operating systems to be honest, I believe that I'm a rare case.

Thanks for the sound fix link, but I don't use an Audigy sound card. I tried it either way because I'm pretty desperate now, but it didn't work so, bummer :|.

8. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Yeah its a head scratcher... Out of desperation I would try the k-lite pack and divx, but I'll leave that choice to you. I don't see a problem trying Divx, but I'm not fully confident in the k-lite. scan the bejeebus out of it with antivirus and malware scanners. :D

9. Sikktwizted

Alright so I solved the problem I was having. I don't know what the codec pack did, but I installed the K-Lite Standard codec pack and the game now works properly. I think it has something to do with the WMP Classic that it had on it, but I'm not entirely sure. However, I'm happy that I've managed to fix the problem. I want to play this game so bad so if you will excuse me, I'm going to go do that lol.

Thanks again super!

Edited the swear out also.

10. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

That is great news! You are so welcome, glad I could be of help. :D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice