1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Facebook Certificate Error

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Weffie, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Weffie

Weffie Thread Starter

I have been having an intermittent problem with Facebook for the past month or two, and I can't figure out how to correct it. :confused: Sometimes when I go to Facebook I get an SSL error saying that I have actually reached a server identifying itself as a248.e.akamai.net. It gives me the option to proceed anyway, but when I do I get an "Invalid URL" message. I have found other questions about Akamai and about Facebook here, but I haven't found this particular problem addressed. I usually use Google Chrome as my browser, but if the problem appears on Chrome and I go to IE9, the problem appears there also. My operating system is Windows Vista Home Basic 32 bit. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor LE-1640, x64 Family 15 Model 127 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1917 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 142385 MB, Free - 50647 MB;
    Motherboard: eMachines, MCP61PM-GM
    Antivirus: Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security 2012, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. gurutech

gurutech

Did you recently replace your home router/firewall? I started having similar problems on all my PC's as soon as I replaced my router.

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

4. Weffie

Weffie Thread Starter

Gurutech, I did add a router several months ago. I don't remember if the problem started soon after I added it. Have you been able to solve the problem since you changed routers? Phantom010, that was one of the first things I tried. I thought surely that would solve my problem, but it didn't.

5. Phantom010

Click Start > Programs > Accessories > right-click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

In the Command Prompt, type: ipconfig /flushdns

Press Enter.

6. Weffie

Weffie Thread Starter

I followed your instructions Phantom010. It's an intermittent problem, so I'll check back in after a couple of days and let you know if it worked. Thank you for your help!

7. Phantom010

Hope it helps. :)

8. Weffie

Weffie Thread Starter

Phantom010, I think that fixed it. The problem didn't reappear for a couple of days, and when it did I flushed DNS again. When I refreshed the web page I was able to get to Facebook. I don't know why the problem appears at all, but at least I can fix it easier than before (by logging out or restarting). Thank you for your help!

9. Phantom010

Would you happen to have a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller network adapter?

10. Weffie

Weffie Thread Starter

My network adapter is an NVIDIA nForce 10/100. I'm a little out of my depth here, but I checked under Device Manager, and that was what was listed.

11. Phantom010

We've had a few recent cases here where members couldn't connect to Facebook. After updating their Realtek network adapter drivers, they could again connect to Facebook. Perhaps updating your NVIDIA driver might help?

12. Weffie

Weffie Thread Starter

Oddly enough, I just did that a month or two ago. Hmmmm. Could the updates have caused the problem?

13. Phantom010

Depends on when your problem with Facebook actually started. But yes, it's possible. Drivers don't necessarily need to be updated when they're working properly. Sometimes, it can make matters worse.

14. Weffie

Weffie Thread Starter

I think I'll try updating it again and see what happens. I double checked, and I updated the network adapter the beginning of June. I can't remember when the Facebook problems started, and I have no way of checking that. I'll give it a try, though.

15. Phantom010

I'd be surprised if a new update would already be available. You might need to revert to your previous driver instead.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1061471