1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Faded text.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by brianml, Feb 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brianml

brianml Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8078 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 466937 MB, Free - 402546 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., H77N-WIFI
    Antivirus: Kaspersky Anti-Virus, Updated and Enabled

I have noticed that some web sites have so little contrast in their text that it is practically unreadable. Why is this so or is it my computer?
    Brian.

2. Sponsor

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

Can you give the addresses for a few web sites that are giving you the problem?
    What web browser are you using?

4. brianml

brianml Thread Starter

Imminent Messenger coolermaster.com communitydigital.com.au

Homedics.com.au

These are a few that have some or all text that is faded.

Firefox is my browser.

Brian.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

They are OK for me. Firefox 27 Windows 7

6. brianml

brianml Thread Starter

Thanks Dave, I will have to look in my computer for an answer. maybe the monitor.
    I will report my findings.
    Thanks again.
    Brian.

7. brianml

brianml Thread Starter

Hi Dave, I had a play with the colour management of the monitor and made some minor adjustments. These had no effect on the text of the problem web sites. I am at a loss as what to do next. I will borrow another LED monitor to see if that makes any difference.

Brian

8. DaveBurnett

Have you tried updating your graphics drivers to match your card and be up to date.

9. cwwozniak

I am using Firefox 27.0 and the drop down menus for the Homedics.com.au site do have very faint text on a white background. They look slightly better in IE. The coolermaster.com and communitydigital.com.au sites also have sections of faint text but a bit more legible than the Homedics site.

When you experimented with the monitor's color management settings did you check the brightness and contrast settings? If one or both are too high, it may be washing out any grays that are close to 100% white.

10. DaveBurnett

If you are using a laptop there may be brightness/contrast settings functions from the keyboard.

11. brianml

brianml Thread Starter

Hi Dave & Chuck. Thanks for your replies.
    1. Dave. I am on a PC. I have not yet updated the graphics driver.
    2. Chuck. I did check the B & C sliders. I would be interested to know if you are are going to see why your results are similar to mine. I bow to your seniority. Let's face it, 44K + posts to 114 are not to be sneezed at.
    3. I found that by changing the page style in "view" to "No Style" that there was no problem. No Style is more work as there is a lot of down scrolling to get the info you're after. As the sites that have faded text are few, I will only go to No Style when the text is unreadable. I will mark this post as Solved. Thanks men.
    Brian

12. cwwozniak

Hi Brian,

I double checked my monitor settings and the brightness and contrast were right. I enabled the use of ClearType in my Windows 7 settings and then went through the ClearType setup. It did improve the readability of many pages, including the Homemedics page. The text was still gray but somehow appeared a bit darker. I used Firefox Web developer add on to try to analyze the Cascading Style Sheets used on the page. As far as I can tell, the web designer used white (Hex code FFFFFF) for the background of the menus and a medium gray (Hex code 999999) for the text when the mouse is not over it. Your disabling the use of style sheets probably kept the white background and made the text a much more legible black (Hex code 000000).

I have to admit a lot of those posts are in the thread games forum. FWiW, I did spend about 17 years working as a design and applications engineer at a company that designed and built signal generators and related equipment for testing computer and medical video displays.

13. DaveBurnett

Post counts are not necessarily reliable. Mine got reset for some unknown reason, as did my join date.

14. brianml

brianml Thread Starter

Hi Chuck, thanks for your latest. You lost me at "Cascading Style Sheets". I tend not to go into addons & extensions as I feel that they might carry nasties with them. Those Hex codes meant nothing to me, but I am sure the the the knowledge of them are important in a lot of situations. They seemed to have fixed the problem on your computer, but I will leave mine to my fix.
    So 43K posts are in thread games forums, means that I still have some catching up to do. At 85 it hardly seems worthwhile, but I'll try.

Dave, as in life, you can't win em all. My old Dad used to say, " just grin and bear it".

All the best to you both.

Brian

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1119719