1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Fail message

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Cadeau, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cadeau

Cadeau Thread Starter

Windows 98 Duron 450
    when the computer starts it displays the page that says Duron 450 64meg ram etc. On the same page it says found cd rom then it says found cdrw, then it pauses for about 20 secs and then displays the message "primary master hard disk fail". The computer displayed this message about a week ago and was restarted about 10 times and it displayed the same message each time. Tonight I booted up the computer and it went into windows ok. I restarted the compter several times and it restarted ok. I shut it down several times and it started back up ok. I am now getting this master hard disk fail again. Could it be the cmos battery ? Or is the hard drive junk? I was able to run scan disc ( no bad sectors or errors) and defrag when it did start.
    thanks

2. pvc9

pvc9

How old is the harddisk? Is it a new one? Check for a setting in the BIOS which is similar to Quick Power-On Self Test, disable that option. See if that helps. Also check the cable connections.

3. Cadeau

Cadeau Thread Starter

How old is the hard drive ? Hmmmmm I'm not sure . It's a 2 gig. Probally about 4 years old is my guess.

4. pvc9

pvc9

OK, look for that setting in the BIOS and if you find it, disable it. Disabling the Quick POST setting would delay the bootup process by few seconds and in the meantime your HDD will startup and should be detected.

5. Cadeau

Cadeau Thread Starter

Ok Ill try this but it is kinda wierd because this system has been working good with no error messages for over a year now . Do you think the hard drive is developing a problem ??

6. pvc9

pvc9

It could be a problem with the HDD. I'm not sure but infact the same has happened to me as well. I've 2 HDDs a 40 GB one and another 2 GB. I had the same problem with the 2 GB HDD, it wouldnt be detected when I start the system, I had to restart few times but later I solved the problem by disabling the Quick POST setting in the BIOS.

7. Cadeau

Cadeau Thread Starter

Ok Thanks for the help PVC 9 :D

8. pvc9

pvc9

Np Cadeau :)

So is the problem solved?

9. Cadeau

Cadeau Thread Starter

PVC9. It was gettin late last night so I never got aound to making the change to see if it would work or no. I'll try tonight after work and post how it went .

10. Cadeau

Cadeau Thread Starter

PVC9 . Yes that seems to have cured the problem . Thanks again for the help !

11. pvc9

pvc9

[tsg=yourewelcome][/tsg]

:cool:

12. Cadeau

Cadeau Thread Starter

Well PVC9, It's doing it again. Primary hard disc fail. The cables are all connected good and I did go into cmos and disabled the post test. It sems to have run fine for about 2 weeks but the message is back. Do you think this sounds like the end of the hard drive? I know before when I was gettin this message and I run scan disc it showed no errors or bad sectors. Suggestions

13. pvc9

pvc9

Hmm...I'm not sure if its the harddisk. But just for a trial...connect another harddisk...temporarily and see if you get the same error message again, that way we'll know if its the HDD or some of the connections or settings in the BIOS...try it and post back.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115019

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice