1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Failed Ext. Hard Drive - Please Help..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by john_t_03, Aug 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. john_t_03

john_t_03 Thread Starter

I have a 250gb Lacie usb2.0 hard drive that stopped working today. The computer doesn't recognize it and hangs up or doesn't restart if the drive is connected. It powers up and makes a series of ticking sounds. I took the enclosure off and connected the internal drive (barracuda) to the IDE port - same symptoms. I tried it with different computers to no avail.

I went out and bought a duplicate drive, opened it up and opened the cover of the inner drive itself only to see 2 platters. I read somewhere that there is no way of swapping double platters between the drives. I did NOT open up my own drive.

Can I try anything else? The 200gb data in it is extremely important. Is the next step to send it out to a service? Which one is the best? Thank you..

2. winbob

winbob

You're kidding right? You didn't really OPEN THE DRIVE to look at the exposed platters !!! :eek:

Which is the equivalent of cutting open the top of your head to see your brain because you have a headache !!! (n)

The drive is worthless if you did this. A particle of smoke on the interior of the drive's 'atmosphere' could destroy it. So, you did this in an industrial clean room environment, right ?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well the clicking sounds of the original drive are a sound of impending disaster.

The only other question I have is are you going to return the new drive that you deliberately destroyed? :mad:

3. john_t_03

john_t_03 Thread Starter

So, I take it that you have no help/suggestions to offer?

I was so desperate to find a solution to my personal disaster that I did not think of hurting the fragile feelings of large corporations for whom a $140 drive means nothing financially.

I'm not sure what you mean about "impending disaster", I guess I just have to ship the drive out to a recovery service.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, that new drive you opened, you can throw that one away. :rolleyes:

The clicking is an almost sure sign that you have an internal drive failure. The only real option is a data recovery service, they "may" be able to recover some or all of the data.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

I think what everyone is alluding to is what we call "the click of death" which is what ide hard drives do usually before they are about to croak.

6. JohnWill

Actually, when they're clicking, it's usually because they've already died. That's the drive attempting to index to track 0 and not finding it.

7. winbob

winbob

John Will,
    Based on the comments above I would guess that rather than throwing it away, he intends to try and get a refund for it ! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Some people Think that being ethical means thinking of themselves and only so. If he does try to return the drive it would be neat to see how he reacts when he is caught in the act.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A data recovery service will charge you quite a bit of money. Are you prepared to pay hundreds of dollars for this data? Maybe even thousands?

10. john_t_03

john_t_03 Thread Starter

I'm prepared to pay hundreds. Maybe even a thousand dollars for the data. That's a major amount of money for me.

I did not buy the duplicate drive knowing that it would be trashed. I was going to swap the platters between the drives, but I knew there was not way of doing that with the double platter situation because of the precise alignment of the platters. And I am not convinced that I ruined this drive - and even if it got ruined, why does this bother some people so much? These mega companies we buy from - they make billions of dollars off of us consumers, and they screw people like me who rely on their product. My drive was only a year old. So yes, I will certainly take the drive back. I consider myself an ethical person in general, but I won't even think twice about this one.

11. prunejuice

prunejuice

I don't believe any ethical dilemna will arise in this situation.

They will simply, flat out, refuse to honour a warranty that you broke when you voided it by opening the drive.

You did have a data backup procedure in place, right?

12. JohnWill

You really kill me. You took the new drive apart, and you didn't think that would hurt it? :confused:

I'll tell you why this bothers me. People like you run the cost of goods up for everyone, including me. I hope they refuse your warranty return on the new drive, which I'm pretty sure they will. Five minutes with Google would have clearly showed you that taking the drive apart would not accomplish anything, and would destroy the drive. :rolleyes:

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The ethical Dilema is as JW states. Yes the companies make money from us. But we give them that oportunity. When we purchase a piece of equipment, we enter a contract with that company concerning the warranty. If we knowingly and purposefully break the terms of tht warranty then attempt to collect on that warranty, we are acting in an unethical manor. This is a problem with society I guess. Ethics have been thrown out the window.

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

yeah I have to agree with John Will here. The attitude tha big companies make all kinds of money and can cover your easily avoided mistake with profits from other sales is total BS. Would it surprise you to know that the average markup on hardware for a mfgr is about 15%. That would mean that a drive they wholesaled for $60, they actually made about $9 on. Sure there were a lot of them, but you have no right to believe that it is OK to deliberately ruin a product and then exect everyone else to pay for it because that is what basically happens.
    I bet you want them to pay the postage too...it's wrong!

15. john_t_03

john_t_03 Thread Starter

I shipped the drive to Eco Data Recovery, which quoted me a flat rate, and they recovered all the data and put it on a new drive I shipped to them from Newegg. Although their quote was lower than everyone else I asked, it was still a lot of money, but their service was excellent overall. I am just happy to get the 200gb+ data back.

With regards to the new drive I opened, I used it for a while on my computer and it works just fine. So, it wasn't instantly dead after opening the cover, as everyone claimed it would be. It might die one day due to a speck of dust that might have gotten in, but they die frequently anyway.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491860

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice