1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Failed POSTS (building a computer)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by psaros, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. psaros

psaros Thread Starter

Hi there,

I began building a computer a few days ago, and I tried to start it up 3 or 4 times and nothing happened. No sound - silence. Then I tried just connecting the power supply to the mobo with a stick of ram in there ( the 8pin and 24pin power cords were the only cables connected) and that failed too. So I ordered a psu tester, and just did all the connection tests, and it passed. Does this mean I need a new motherboard or is there something else I can try?

Here's what my system would be running.

Antec 600 case
    ASUS M4N75TD Motherboard
    Corsair CX600 Builder series power supply
    (2) 2Gig sticks of ram
    AMD Phenom II x4 955 proc
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 video card
    Lite On Cd/Dvd burner, and a Seagate 500mb hard drive.

Thank you.
    Paul

2. doctorzeus

doctorzeus

When you say you started it up, what do you mean by that? Did you press the power button on the case or on the MB?

Also another thing you MUST have a CPU fan connected to the CPU fan 3/4-pin plug else the Motherboard Will not boot to prevent CPU damage..

Hope This Helps!

Doctorzeus

3. psaros

psaros Thread Starter

Edit: Yes, i did when i did my first few posts in the case. Everything was connected properly. By CPU fan you mean heatsink right? it has a fan, the levers are down and locked.

Plugged in the cpu and did the same thing.. no response, no sound at all, but a green led light on the mobo turns on when I turn on the psu.

Thanks..

4. doctorzeus

doctorzeus

Yeah I mean the fan connected to the HeatSync should be connected...When you push the power button do any of the fans spin round even for a second?

Doctorzeus

5. psaros

psaros Thread Starter

Nope, not even a flinch.

6. doctorzeus

doctorzeus

Hmm thats not such good news, I'm assuming you PSU is 700watts...Does the green light have any lettering next to it e.g. CPU, RAM, VGA? hopefully you have MB debug lights :)

Doctorzeus

7. psaros

psaros Thread Starter

Nope it's 600 watt. The led says SB_PWR next to it.

Can't reply back today, but I will check this thread tomorrow.

8. replay

replay

is the mobo in the case? if it is check your front panel wires from the case to the mobo (power)

9. uataneja

uataneja

It's possible that the PSU voltage setting might be incorrect. Usually, theres a small switch on the back of the PSU. Usually, the voltages are 110v/115v or 220v/230v. Make sure that the switch is in the correct position. It's happened to me a few times in the past.

10. doctorzeus

doctorzeus

Its possible it might be static as well...

11. Electron2418

Electron2418

Did you try to reconnect cables. Make sure so you have connected correct cable from case from power switch to MB. Try to disconect hard drive, DVD, any not necessary cables. Take out all cables check if there are not dirty or if is not there any bend pin most likely between PSU and MB or MB and CPU. Another question does your MB support your CPU. Do you have another PSU from old PC try that one If it works.

12. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  13. psaros

psaros Thread Starter

@replay - Yeah, my first was in the case, and I connected all the front power cords from the case.
    @uataneja - Only one switch, power
    @electron - Yep my MB is AM3 and my proc is AMD. Compatible. I have a ~400 watt psu but my friend who makes computers told me not to use it because it might fry.
    @dustyjay - Understood everything except: 10) Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. What does that mean?

14. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    use a small srew driver or other metal object and short between the twoo pins that the case power switch connects to on the motherboard.

15. psaros

psaros Thread Starter

Success... but my monitor isn't picking up the signals. I tried both monitor ports on the gfx card. Same monitor I'm using now, works fine on this comp.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice