1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Failed to boot

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Silico, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Silico

Silico Thread Starter

On my other computer i had tried to boot Ubuntu from a flash drive which worked somewhat it got to a certain point and failed to boot properly i guess. so i decided to not boot from Ubuntu and just have vista work for now while i try another live usb installation but when i tried to boot from the original hard drive it failed is says:

verifying pool data.....
    Boot from CD:
    Disk Boot failure, inster system disk and press enter.

i don't have the system disk and i know that i did not install Ubuntu on the hard drive by accident. I don't know how to get it to boot again since resetting the bios to a setting where i remember it working perfectly still didn't work. any suggestions?

2. kenny111111

kenny111111

straight from a MS page... http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-Last-Known-Good-Configuration

Follow these steps:

Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.

Click the Start button , click the arrow next to the Lock button , and then click Restart.

Do one of the following:

If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to start, and then press F8.

On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.

If your computer has more than one operating system installed, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system that you want to start by using Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER. Windows will then resume starting normally.

3. Silico

Silico Thread Starter

ok so first off my bios doesn't have an option for last know good configuration in it. and it doesn't give me the option to press F8 because to get into the bios i have to press del, F8 doesn't do anything

4. Silico

Silico Thread Starter

the only other option i can think of is the fact that i have a floppy disk that has an emergency boot. but that computer doesn't have a floppy so i can put it into another computer i have with a floppy and burn the file as an iso onto the CD and have it boot from that cd will that work?

5. kenny111111

kenny111111

f2 should be BIOS...f8 should be safe mode...try f2 and boot hdd in the 1st order and it may boot to windows..

6. Silico

Silico Thread Starter

only the problem with that computer is for some reason when i boot XP from it as soon as the logo is gone the screen goes blank and doesn't show anything at all.... i know that xp has booted but there's some problem causing the video to not show up. i have no idea what to do. for either computer

7. Silico

Silico Thread Starter

for some reason i don't have an option to go into safe mode or into boot options the only options i get are del, for bios. F4 to enter raid utility, which i tried and it said no device detected which is not good since my operating system is a installed on a 3 hard drives set up for raid. i went to make sure that the options in bios have it set up for raid but it still doesn't work. then later is has raid set up utility which is F10 but that says everything is perfectly fine so i don't know what to do about any of that hope that helps. I can't find the option to select where to boot or to go into safe mode or anything it never shows on the screen and your keys you gave me didn't work. but i didn't manage to find the boot menu the button was esc

8. kenny111111

kenny111111

does the cd/dvddrive work, and do you have a live (ubuntu) cd? can you run it from there?

3 hdds? pull 2 of them and switch from raid maybe?

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

This could be the most confusing post I have ever seen. You put it in the Vista Forum, but are talking about the XP logo and not going beyond it when there is no XP logo in Vista and not being able to get into Bios to choose safe mode? You need to start over and tell us what hardware and model this is and what version of Windows or no one can help you.
    So you know if you tap F8 continuously after pressing power button until you see the options for safe mode etc....that has absolutely nothing to do with the system bios.

10. Silico

Silico Thread Starter

hahaha i'm sorry for the confusion. the original problem is running vista ulimate. it's running a bios version of 7.3.13 from phoenix technologies. it's running 3x250GB hard drives raid 5 which is how installed windows on that computer originally so removing 2 of them will not solve that problem. I don't have a live Ubuntu CD i ran it from the a USB. yes it has a DVD/CD read/write drive in it the part about xp was just me speculating about using another computer which runs xp and has a floppy which i can use for an emergency boot since the one with vista doesn't have a floppy disk drive i could burn a emergency boot cd and use that if i need to get into the computer. but that computer for some reason is also having troubles so that isn't going to work does that clear it all up?

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

12. Silico

Silico Thread Starter

Ok sorry forget it all i had a friend manage to fix it all but thank you for your help. anyway though

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976138

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice