1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: "failed to create empty document" error message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by taxingtina, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. taxingtina

taxingtina Thread Starter

I use Windows XP. I installed and ran the Avast grime fighter and then found two of my programs - one for tax preparation and one for backing up to an external hard drive - won't "open". Instead, I get the error message "failed to create empty document". I uninstalled the programs then reinstalled them, but no change - I still get the message. I saw, by googling the message, that it may have something to do with a windows registry file, but I really don't understand what that is or how to get to it or how to fix it. I contacted the Avast folks and they said they could put me in touch with their microsoft folks for $180! I am at a loss as to what I should do. Please can anyone help me figure out what to do to get these programs to run? I really need the tax program especially. Thank you.

This is the text from running the TSG SysInfo utility:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3036 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 476899 MB, Free - 426176 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0P301D
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  3. taxingtina

At first, I did not want to try this, as I ran the program more than a month ago - before I noticed the problem. The fix you recommended says it can only be done within a week. But then I thought what the heck, and tried to do it. Unfortunately, the option to "undo last scan" did not appear under the big green "begin grime fighter" button.... perhaps because the option to undo was time-barred.

I am appreciative of the suggestion; do you have any other(s)?

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  5. taxingtina

My dearest "managed" (Allan) - I cannot thank you enough! I was totally lost and very worried, but your suggestion helped me fix the problem, and I now have access to the programs I need! Saying you are wonderful isn't enough, but it's all that comes out of my mouth! Happy Valentine's Day from a very grateful Yank!

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    (From a Brit to the colonies ;) ).

You're more than welcome and I hope you have a great Valentine's day.

You should consider making a backup image of your XP onto an external hard drive, this article shows how using a free program :- http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-reflect-is-a-free-and-easy-to-use-backup-utility/

If you decide to make an Image it's important to make the recovery CD as shown in the article. Then if your XP can't even boot you boot the CD and restore XP. It will be exactly the same as it was when you made the image, all programs and data will be restored.
    You should also consider upgrading to Windows 7 or higher, XP is no longer supported by Micro$oft and will become more insecure over time.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!