1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Failed to flash BIOS [MSI P45 Neo-F LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard]

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pluss1, Jul 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pluss1

Pluss1 Thread Starter

Hi!

I'm sorry for posting such a horrible mistake. I'll just break it down really easely and hope for someone to be kind enough to resque my stupid ***.

I just upgraded my OS from W7 to W10 doing a clean install and figured out I had to install a bunch of essential drivers all over again, so I though it would be a good idea to start out with my motherboard. My motherboard is a "P45 NEO-F", so I went over to it's support page (link) to download all of the latest drivers and utilities for that model. Then I saw the "BIOS" section, and thougt I should flash the BIOS first of all, for no reason. So I downloaded the "AMI BIOS 4.4", which was the latest one, extracted the files on to a USB-stick, booted the whole thing up, went to M-FLASH in BIOS, chose the "A7519IMS.440"-file on the stick, flashed the BIOS, rebooted and now I get a "bad checksum".

I didn't even take a backup of the old file from BIOS, because I couldn't even think of this not working. Bonus points for that!

So what do I do now, being the sorry sod that I am?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    On the screen if there's a key shown to go into the Bios do that and check the settings are what you want, or use the set all to default option, then save and reboot. If it still doesn't boot up properly reset the Cmos/Bios settings using the jumper on the motherboard.

EDIT : In the top manual here:- http://www.msi.com/support/mb/P45D3_NeoF.html#down-manual
    see page En21 for jumper settings and En4 for it's location, it's labelled JBAT1
    Unplug the power from the wall before doing the above

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Your link is for the P45D3 NEO-F motherboard and not for the P45 NEO-F motherboard.

Is there any chance that you installed the wrong BIOS?

----------------------------------------------------------

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Well spotted Frank, I missed that. I'll wait until the OP replies to your question.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    (y)

I couldn't find the "P45 NEO-F" at the MSI motherboard site, so I used a Newegg link.

------------------------------------------------------------

6. Pluss1

Pluss1 Thread Starter

@ managed I'll try to do that now. A friend of mine also suggested I should take the battery out and put it back in to restore all it's settings to default.

@ flavallee Yeah, I know. It's this model, ordered from the same site: link

To me, it looks like the motherboard they are referring to at the MSI website, the Newegg site and Komplett are the same. I really can't see the difference in the specs or the pictures. I'll check the serial number, just in case.

EDIT:

I have now tried to reset the BIOS trying everything in this guide without any results. I get video signal, and I can get into BIOS settings, it asks me to set the clock when I take out the battery, but the OS will not load. Even if I select where to boot from manually by pressing F11. I am also sure the P45D3 NEO-F motherboard = P45 NEO-F = MSI P45 Neo Whatever. I am not sure why they don't have a standard way of typing the model name of the motherboard.

EDIT 2

@ flavallee You were right. P45D3 Neo-F ≠ P45 Neo. I found this page by an accident right now, while searching for everything I could find related to the motherboard. Turns out P45D3 Neo-F and P45 Neo have some minor differences. I downloaded what should be the right BIOS update from the P45 Neo page, and I put it on a memory stick and tried to flash again, but I still get "bad checksum". I'm going to send a support ticket to MSI.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Unless I am missing something here, win10 is NOT a supported os for that mb. In fact win7 is the latest version that is supported; even win8 is not listed as a supported os. When you attempt to install an unsupported os, you are a beta tester; it might work and it might not work.

I would flash the bios back to the previous ver that worked. Then load a supported os ie win7.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Good luck with MSI support. (y)

Hopefully, you won't have to replace the motherboard. :(

----------------------------------------------------------

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW I looked at the guide you linked to in regard to resetting or clearing the bios. That is not how you clear cmos.

Do the following;
    1 System OFF. Pull the pw cord from the back of the pw supply.
    2 Now hit the ON button 2~3 times. This removes all residual charge from the pw supply capacitors.
    3 Clear cmos with the clear jumper for a minimum of 10 seconds. Replace the jumper to the normal or keep position.
    4 Replace the pw cord and pw ON the system. Enter the bios and set the time/date and any other custom settings you need ie boot order, hd priority, sata mode, etc. Save settings and restart.

You have now properly cleared cmos.

10. Pluss1

Pluss1 Thread Starter

@ crjdriver I followed your guide to clear CMOS properly, then I tried to change the boot order once again, without any luck. Then I tried to boot from each of the hard drives manually, and suddenly it worked (after choosing what I'm pretty sure was the wrong HDD). It's now showing 2 of 4 installed HDDs, but I got into Windows 10 and the system is up an running, so hooray for that :) There is still one problem lingering though. I have no internet connection even though I have the ethernet cable connected, and it says that standard gateway isn't available. I tried to install the Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Drivers found here, but it doesn't really look like it's working.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, I do not think you are understanding. Win10 is NOT a supported os [neither is win8] Install a supported os and be done with the problem; either win7 or linux.
    Since you have multiple drives, pull the pw connectors from ALL of the drives except the one you want to install the os. Once you are finished with the install, you can then reconnect the pw connectors. Doing this prevents windows from placing the boot files on the wrong drive which is probably what caused this;

12. Pluss1

Pluss1 Thread Starter

@ crjdriver Alright, I get it. I just thought I should give it a try. I have now done as you suggested; formatted the system HDD and installed a 64x version of Windows 7. But I'm still having the same problem I had in Windows 10 (the network connection shows up as unidentified and I get no internet). The Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller shows up in Network Connections, I have tried to install the driver found on MSI's website, as mentioned in my last post, but it can't even detect the source of the problem when I try to troubleshoot. Could it have something to do with the unsuccessful BIOS upgrade maybe? I can't remember the last working BIOS version by the way, since I forgot to back it up before flashing BIOS in the first place.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  13. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I don't think it's the bios, the 'bad checksum' message is normal even after a successful bios flash, it just means the Cmos/Bios settings got scrambled by the flash. Going into the bios, even if you make no changes and just do a save & exit will get rid of that message.

14. Pluss1

Pluss1 Thread Starter

@ managed Aha! That means the BIOS upgrade was successful after all. Turns out it only killed the ethernet. The "bad checksum" message is gone, it just showed up one time after the BIOS upgrade.

EDIT:

Alright, this is crazy. I figured out the network adapter address is reporting backwards after the BIOS update. I just went into network settings for the adapter and typed in the MAC address manually, from back to front and it freaking works! Mental!

I'm sticking to W7 at this moment, I can't cope with any more of this, haha. Thanks for all the help though!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  15. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I'm glad you fixed it.(Do you mean the IP address ?).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1152641

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice