Solved: Failed to run service message

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

philomath

I defragged and scheduled a disk check on my Dell desktop, running windows XP. Since then the system is crawling at a snails pace. When it finally boots-up, I get a "Failed to Run Service" message which I X out of and try to proceed. My programs on the bottom tool bar are gone. Now every time I reboot the system goes through a checking file system. When it gets to stage 4 of 5 it begins to crawl.
Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3
2.00 GB of Ram

blues_harp28

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hi, to stop the scan disk at start up - you will need the install Cd.
Boot from the Xp install Cd...when prompted press [R]
Choose Windows installation [typically by pressing [1]
When prompted for password.
Press Enter.
Type
chkntfs /x c:

Note space before the /x and before c:
C: being the drive letter that Xp is installed on.

This should clear the dirty bits on the drive and allow a normal boot.
It has to be the full Xp install Cd - a not an OEM Cd [original equipment manufacturer]

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online