1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Failed XP Setup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KtuluCJ77, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KtuluCJ77

KtuluCJ77 Thread Starter

Hi, after recently having a lot of virus problems (that have since been cleared) I attempted simply re-installing XP and starting over, but in the midst of that the installation didn't complete, coming up with a missing file. I tried to replace it but it didn't work. Now the computer is clean, but on startup, it asks if I want to start the XP Setup (which choses itself automatically if I don't move the arrow up within 2-3 seconds) or the actual OS already installed. What I want to do is simply remove the option for continuing setup on startup. I'm not sure how to go about that, but I imagine there must be a way. If anyone can let me know I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Try this . . Click on Start . . Run . . type msconfig . . click on the Boot Ini tab and click on Check all boot paths . . if it comes back with one is invalid, click Fix invalid boot paths

3. KtuluCJ77

KtuluCJ77 Thread Starter

It said they were all OK, but I got rid of the entry for Setup in the boot.ini file and it's gone now. Didn't think to do that before. Thanks for steering me in the right direction. It was so simple, I wish I'd thought of it before I made the thread. Thanks again!

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Well done . . (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice