1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Fan Sometimes Spins Quickly and Loudly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SophieLass, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SophieLass

SophieLass Thread Starter

Hi,

In January 2006 I bought a brand new Dell. In the past year the fan starts to spin loudly on occasion. For instance, when my antivirus program scans my computer, the fan speeds up. It also seems to do this if I'm running a few pieces of software, and also some websites in Firefox.

Does anyone know if there is something wrong? And if so, what can I do?

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,

-sophia

My specs:
    Dell DM051 Mini-Tower
    Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
    3.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    3584 Megabytes Installed Memory

2. stevecook

stevecook

It is normal for the fan to speed up when the load on the processor causes temperature increase. If you think it is doing it excessively I would check that the air intakes are clear of fluff and dust and, if you feel competent enough, open up the case and check the fan on the processor is free of dust etc.

3. SophieLass

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your quick response! I'll open it up today and blow it out with a can of air.

I feel better knowing it isn't something drastic. :)

Sincerely,

-sophia

4. SophieLass

Hi,

I just wanted to say thank you again. After blowing the inside out with a can of air, the fan no longer spins loudly as it once did. I have five pets and there was some pet hair and dust around the fan area. Everything is now A.O.K.! :)

Sincerely,

-sophia

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/831698

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice