1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Fans Fans Fans

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ziggy587, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Thread Starter

Yes, as the title suggest, I have a question about fans. Right now I have a computer that can actually heat my small room. First off, I have four sticks of RD RAM that have the heat spreaders on both sides. You can fry and egg on these things. Then I have an Asus fanless 7600GS, the heatsink on this gets fairly hot.

I have two rear 80mm exhaust fans, one spins at about 4300RPM and the other is about 2400RPM (I think its on its way out, going to replace both). When I put my hand back there, its pretty hot, almost like a blow dryer. I want to add an extra fan or two but I can't decide what would be best, I would like to ask your opinions on this.

First I thought of adding a front intake fan, but my case only has that small front vent that almost underneath. I have a spot to mount a front fan, but it wouldn't actually be taking in air, theres no vents in the case there. I was also thinking about adding one of those 5.25" drive bay fans for intake. I found a nice one on NewEgg that has two fans, I thought this could help take in some air. Not sure how well they work, I also want to keep the db level down.

My second thought, and the one I think I'm going to go with, is adding a top fan. First I thought to make it an exhaust fan. I see these a lot but I don't know how good they are, do they interfere with the rear exhaust fans?

Then I thought to make a top intake fan. I wouldn't want to pull more in then is being exhausted though, that doesn't make much sense to me.

What if I put a 120mm fan blowing out at the top, then turn my two 80mm fans around to intake air? I wonder how this would work.

So what do you guys think?

2. Jones

Jones

I think you should simply get a new case.

Rather than struggle to get good airflow in your existing no-name case, spend $50 - $100 on a nice new case that's designed for proper airflow.

Just a couple of suggestions:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146028

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119152

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119077

Not only will this drastically improve the temperature situation in your case, but it also gives you a much nicer enclosure for when you make upgrades. A good case will last a long time.

3. Gnomad

Gnomad

I agree, quality case manufacturers have much better air management capabilities. All of the fans are located in specific areas to ensure proper airflow over the components that require cooling. Cheap cases are just that, cheap. They do not do extensive testing as do the quality manufacturers.

4. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion, I've thought about it, and I'm not willing to put any more money into this PC (save for a fan or two). I eventually want to build my "hard core gaming" PC sometime this year, thats when I'll buy a new case (lol).

That being said, I want to simply add a top fan to my current case. I have the dual 80mm exhaust fans in the back, do you think I should get an 80, 90, or 120mm fan for the top? And, should I make the top blow in or out? I don't know what people normally do with top fans.

I don't know if having the rear and top fan ALL blowing out would create a problem. Is this something I should just experiment with and find what works best? I'm thinking a 90mm top fan blowing in with the two 80mm blowing out would probably work best, as long as the two 80mm move more air then the single 90mm does.

5. Jones

Jones

Top fan as big as you can get it, and make it exhaust. This is called a 'blowhole' for obvious reasons.

Alot of newer gaming cases are coming with these already installed (see Antec 900 and NZXT Tempest as examples) since they enhance the natural 'warm air rises' effect and draw all the hot air out of your case.

6. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Thread Starter

Yeah, I've heard of the term 'blow hole' before. But would adding this fan cause negative effects with the rear exhaust fans? I guess time will tell.

Also, are those PCI slot fans worth getting? They're so cheap, but I hear they have a short life span. I have a fanless graphics card that gets pretty hot, it'd be nice to blow some air on/off it.

7. Jones

Jones

If anything, more exhaust is better. The more heat you can move out of our case, the better.

As for the fan card, it might be a good idea to invest in one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835888112

I used one with an old 6800XT card I had that was getting too hot, and it dropped the temps of the GPU by about 5ยบ. This is better than the PCI slot exhaust blowers since this fan card blows air directly up onto the video card. Plus, it runs pretty quiet if you keep the speed of the fan down. Having the adjustable fan controller is nice too, so you can turn it up when things get way too hot.

8. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Thread Starter

Yeah, I was looking at that fan card yesterday. I think I'll get that one along with a 120mm fan. Thanks.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice