1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Fans In Or Out???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Just0, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Just0

Just0 Thread Starter

Well Wow I Cant Believe I Dont Know This...Well...Do Case Fans Blow In Or Out???

LOL

I Know Lots About Computers But This One Bums Me Out...

Becuase I Am Getting Overheating Problems

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Front in,rear out.

3. bigbear

bigbear

OUT, you need to get rid of the hot air:)

4. pugmug

pugmug Banned

A front fan should not blow out.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I agree with pugmug, generally front in, rear out.

Side fans - you need to consider the case aerodynamics involved and just where the air is flowing to decide. If a side fan extracts, it could end up extracting the front fan air before it can do any cooling as an example. Or not.

6. wolfgang53

wolfgang53

I've got 2 fans per side, 2 low on the open side and 2 high on the MOBO side. The machine runs cool, although I have to clean the dust off every opening on the front of the case frequently and blow a fair amount of dust out of the inside. Probably not the most ideal set-up, but it gets the hot air out.

7. datamonger

datamonger

It's all about positive pressure. As long as you have more air blowing in than being sucked out, you will have minimum amount of dust trying to find it's way in through the cracks and crevices. If you can cover the in-ward blowing fans with some stocking material (like the kind ladies where when they wear skirts and such) you can minimize the internal dust (also a heat culprit). Just run a vacuum across those in-ward blowing fans on a regular basis.

8. wolfgang53

wolfgang53

Actually, I have no inward blowwing fans, so I understand where the dust comes from. I considered the positive pressure approach when I set up the case, but at the time thought it better to keep an endless supply of cool air moving into the machine. So I set it up with negative pressure and just deal with the dust. (It's always fun to open the case and poke around inside with the air can anyway)

9. datamonger

datamonger

If you are looking for a reason to crack the case and poke around, more power to you! You will be one of the few around here that can answer questions more than you ask them.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I agree with wolfgang53 here, I've actually improved the cooling of several of my large towers by removing the front intake fans. Many times, intake fans will create turbulence in the case and create hot spots and poor cooling. Every situation is unique, and you need to tailor the cooling for your particular situation.

11. bigbear

bigbear

This is why I said OUT, I have no inward blowing fans either because I found the build up of dust was quicker plus it was noisier as well.

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, you need some vents for incoming air, even though you may not have intake fans. IMO, the best cooling comes from cool air coming in low, and being exhausted high, which allows natural convection to help in the process.

13. wolfgang53

wolfgang53

Actually, the fornt of my case has removable plates covering the drive bays, currently all at the lower part of the front, that are perforated, making great vents for the cool air to get sucked in.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice