1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Fans to mobo question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Crammit, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crammit

Crammit Thread Starter

Ok, so I'm building my first rig, I have a Corsair 500r case and ASUS P8z77-v LK motherboard and the fan connectors from the case are 3-pin and the motherboard has 4-pin connectors. So are there adapters that I can get to plug the mobo into and the fans into?(like both sides(mobo & fans) need their pins to plug into an adapter is what I'm getting at) Is it that easy? I went to a local parts store and the guy there told me he doesn't have anything like that and I should probably buy new fans and I really don't feel like that is the only option. Everything else I looked up regarding this cases fans and this specific mobo has nothing to do with the connectors so its leaving me to believe there is a simple solution that I am just missing here. Thanks for any input.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You do not need any adapter; just plug the fan in and it will work. You will not be able to control the fan speed via PWM [which is the purpose of the extra lead]

There are adapters to connect the fans to a 4pin molex connector from your pw supply however there really is no need to buy anything.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW the fan connector is keyed so you cannot plug it in incorrectly [unless you really really force it]

4. Crammit

Crammit Thread Starter

No I mean there are three fan connectors on the mobo that have 4-pin connectors showing; also, the fan connectors coming from the fans are 3-pin fan connectors. (pins are showing on both sides)

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I understand. You can use the 3pin fans on a 4pin connector. Even if you used an adapter, it is not going to do anything; the fan lacks the ability to use PWM. Your fan connectors looks like this correct?

Attached Files:

6. Crammit

Crammit Thread Starter

No my fan connecters have pins like the motherboard does. They both have pins that you need to insert into something.

7. Crammit

Crammit Thread Starter

should I just get molex connectors and hook the integrated chassis fans to the PSU? but the case has speed control for the fans will this negate my use of controlling fan speed?

Note: I would like to be able to use my speed controls integrated with the case.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1092990

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice