1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Fast User Switching Not Working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mpeet611, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mpeet611

mpeet611 Thread Starter

I have Windows XP Home & the fast user switching will not work. I found this closed thread http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/391450-fast-user-switching-no-longer.html & the solution in post #4 allowed me to get to the welcome screen but i can't open a second user account. The only user account it will let me use is the one that's already logged in. Somebody Please tell me what i can do to make Fast User Switching work normally again.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I have had nothing but issues with using Switch user.

I would "Log out" of the current user and then log in to the second user.
    Then I would do a shut down, not a sleep or hibernation, but a complete POWER Off.
    If you get a message about another user being log in, then I would abort the power down, and the log off the current account and go to one that may be logged in.
    Then fire the machine back up and see if the Switch user works for you or NOT.

3. mpeet611

mpeet611 Thread Starter

When i clicked on Switch User just now it took me to the welcome screen but it wouldn't allow me to log in another user account. I looked at the User Tab in the Task Manager & their's no user accounts listed their. Could both of these problems be caused by a registry error. In the closed thread i already mentioned above the registry fix found on post #4 allowed me to reach the welcome screen when i clicked on switch user but i still can't log in a second user. Is their an easy fix i can try?

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Is there in fact more than one Windows user account on this machine?

Did you try logging out as suggested above?

5. mpeet611

mpeet611 Thread Starter

There are 4 user accounts on this machine because more than one person uses it. We can log in to one account just fine, but the welcome screen won't let me log in a second account after i click switch user. I tried what you suggested but it didn't do anything. I've even tried system restore & it didn't help.

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
  7. mpeet611

mpeet611 Thread Starter

I can still access all of the user accounts from the welcome screen normally. When i click on switch user & try logging in a second user account it looks like it's trying to work for a second but instead of logging in the second account it goes back to the welcome screen. We don't use switch user a lot so i may turn off Fast User Switching until i can get it fixed.

8. mpeet611

mpeet611 Thread Starter

I did a google search & i read try setting Terminal Services & Fast User Switching in services.msc to manual & click start button so i tried it & i got the following error messages.

"Could Not Start Fast User Switching Compatibility service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The Dependency service or group failed to start."

"Could Not Start Terminal Services Service on Local Computer. Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service."

9. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    When one does a Switch User, all data and programs that are running and open, must be copied to a temporary area on the hard drive, then the new account can open their data.

If one of the user accounts does NOT get opened and closed properly then this MAY cause issues. I would log in and old of ALL of the accounts and make sure they are working as they should. This may even clear up any of the "Temp data files" related to each account.

10. mpeet611

mpeet611 Thread Starter

I found an old thread on pctools.com & somebody had the same problem as me with all the same symptoms so i applied the registry fix he used & swich users is now working again on my computer. Thanks for all your help. I'll post a link to the forum below so you know what i did to fix my computer.

http://www.pctools.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-24134.html

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1115412

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice