1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Fatal Exception 0D - Cannot startup at all

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by daizee97, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daizee97

daizee97 Thread Starter

Not sure what the user did to this computer, but it is running Win98. He says that he was trying to open some sort of Excel file (MS Office 2000 SR-1 Pro) and it told him he needed some sort of update from the CD. After it installed the update from the CD, it took him to Windows Update webpage, he chose some suggested updates (no idea which ones) and started to download. In the middle of download/install, BSOD and we have been unrecoverable since.

I have tried starting up in safe mode, still get fatal exception OD. Tried step by step and using the following answers (per MS website):
    Prompt Your response
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Load DoubleSpace Driver? Yes
    Process the system registry Yes
    Create a startup log file (BOOTLOG.TXT) Yes
    Process your startup device drivers (CONFIG.SYS) No
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS Yes
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\DBLBUFF.SYS Yes
    DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS Yes
    Process your startup command file (AUTOEXEC.BAT) No
    Load the Windows graphical user interface Yes
    Load all Windows drivers? Yes

Answered NO to all of the following:
    Static .vxd file Provides support for
    ----------------------------------------------
    Vnetsup.vxd Microsoft Networking
    Ndis.vxd Microsoft Networking
    Ndis2sup.vxd Microsoft Networking
    Javasup.vxd Microsoft Java
    Vrtwd.386 Clock
    Vfixd.vxd Video Phone helper
    Vnetbios.vxd Microsoft Networking
    Vserver.vxd Microsoft Networking
    Vredir.vxd Microsoft Networking
    Dfs.vxd Microsoft Networking
    Ndiswan.vxd Microsoft Networking
    Msmouse.vxd Microsoft Mouse

After the msmouse.vxd question (no matter what combination of answers, tried several different ones) it always goes to a black screen and freezes.

Any ideas? Not really looking for a reinstall windows answer...

2. mtbird

mtbird

I would try a scanreg /restore. On boot, hold down the ctrl key. Pick command prompt only. At the C:> prompt, type in scanreg /restore. Note the space after g.
    Pick a date prior to the problem. Don't pick the oldest, as it will not restore.

Debe

3. daizee97

daizee97 Thread Starter

already tried that. problem just happen 1.5 hrs ago, backed up today's registry, then restored one from 1/31/03, same problem occurred.

Anyone know what this address refers to? 0147:00007E59, it seems to be consistently the exact same address.

Could he have by chance burned up his RAM chip? Should I try replacing that?

4. daizee97

daizee97 Thread Starter

Okay, already went ahead tried a different RAM chip, still the exact same error with the exact same address. Why do these things always break in the last hour on the last day of the pay period right when I'm going into overtime? This stinks...

5. daizee97

daizee97 Thread Starter

Sorry to keep posting, but want to update the forum on attempts to fix. Tried disabling L2 or external cache, same error, same address.

6. IMM

IMM

What's the video card? Have you tried updating the ESCD (reset configuration data) from the bios?
    Run scandisk c: from DOS (Command Prompt only = probably option 5 on the boot menu)
    Boot DOS and have a look in the windows dir. If you find a wininit.ini file try renaming it to wininit.imm or something.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Could be just a coincidence, but try reseating the drive cables while you're at it. And it won't hurt to remove any peripheral cards such as Network and Sound to simplify things.

You can also try answering 'no' to this and see if you get any further (actually somewhat similar to safe mode):

Load all Windows drivers?

8. daizee97

daizee97 Thread Starter

I actually did try saying to no to load all windows drivers, no luck. Let me try the renaming wininit.ini and resetting drive cables. Sound is onboard, not sure what type of video card, I think I have an extra I could try swapping it with.

Debbie

MUCHO THANKIES!

9. daizee97

daizee97 Thread Starter

IMM: Replaced the video card, same problem. Reset BIOS two different ways ( Load Optimal / Load Best Performance), same problem. Ran scandisk (actually, it automatically runs scandisk everytime I attempt to boot to Safe Mode) no errors found. There is no wininit.ini file that I can see.

Rog: Reset the drive cables, removed NIC, disabled sound, serial ports and everything else onboard from BIOS, no change.

Is there any way to figure out what the address 0147:00007E59 refers to?

10. daizee97

daizee97 Thread Starter

config.sys has:

rem devicehigh=c:\sample.sys /D:APEX0000

What is that and should it be un-remarked? I cannot find any reference to the /D switch....

Debbie

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Can you post the exact error message?

12. daizee97

daizee97 Thread Starter

A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0147:00007E59. The current application will be terminated.
    *Press any key to terminate the current application.
    *Press CTRL+ALT+DEL again to restart your computer. You will lose any unsaved information in all applications.

Press any key to continue.

I think I'm ready to go have a beer and let the user take a hammer to it....

Hehe :)

13. ~Candy~

Is there anything externally connected? If so, disconnect......even the mouse.

14. daizee97

daizee97 Thread Starter

Reboot with only keyboard and monitor attached? Or disconnect those too?

15. ~Candy~

oops...sorry.....got excited about the beer and hammer :D

You'll need the keyboard, otherwise it's going to error out.....and the monitor of course, to see what's going on.........

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!