1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] fatal exception oe

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by honeyv, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. honeyv

honeyv Thread Starter

Another hassle for someone clever. My friend has win 98 and a short while ago her pc would only go into standby and there was no power to the keyboard, We have changed the battery, put in a new power supply, changed the motherboard and still we get no beeping sound when it boots up. The monitor stays with only orange lite and keyboard doesn't light up at all, have had the power checked and the right voltage is there. Am lost now dont know what else to do.Apparently we have been told it is old an AT is what they say.

2. mobo

mobo

Have you tried a diferent video card as well or swapped your ram in and out ?

3. honeyv

honeyv Thread Starter

My friend is running win 98 and after power problems fixed with no actual work being done we have a new problem. The system is telling us we deliberately deleded a DCIMAN32.DLL and we have no idea what it is, also is asking for vsdata.vsd and when we hit another key it say fatal exception OE 015F:BFF8E09F. I would like to throw the pc out but friend wont be in it what are needing now for this silly pc.

4. honeyv

honeyv Thread Starter

power problem fixed new one now keyboard wouldn't work fit another key board and we are away. PC is now saying we deleted DCIMAN32.DLL deliberately and it is needed. it then says that it requires vsdata95.vxd.I am bamboozled. The next message is even better fatal exception OE 015F:BFF8E09F. Should we just throw it out have tried reinstalling win 98 but it says it needs the vsdata file where did we go wrong
    Just to make matters worse it wont let me change anything when I go into setup when I highlight something to change it refuses or doesn't give me any other options there. Are we in trouble.:(

5. honeyv

honeyv Thread Starter

Guess what all fixed dont know how pulled pc apart and put back together again and look out we are up and running sort of except for a fatal ecception OE

6. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Please state your Operating System. In each case please state the exact error message and what procedure you're undertaking while using the computer when this error message(s) occur, no paraphrasing so the forum can better able assist you. Programs/Applications must always be uninstalled via the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel. For instance, vsdata95.vxd is often associated with Zone Alarm (ZA) personal firewall - uninstall; restart your computer then reinstall ZA. Or maybe you just need to uninstall ZA or just restart your computer after uninstalls.

In most situations where Windows reports a missing file you simply reinstall the program and/or:

Cure Your Ills With the System File Checker
    Windows 98

When you're having trouble with Windows 98--and who doesn't at some point--you might want to try a little-known utility called the System File Checker. Close all open programs and go to Run in the Start menu. Type sfc and click OK.
    Check the Scan For Altered Files radio button and click Start. SFC will look for files that have been corrupted. If it finds any, you can use it to extract clean versions of the files directly from your installation disk.

Or

To start System File Checker, follow these steps:
    Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, click System Information, and then click System File Checker on the Tools menu.

You do need a firewall - Sygate is the best freebie available. ZA can cause errors in your operating system.

And finally, please define what you mean by 'setup'.

7. GeekGawd

GeekGawd

Your exact problem still seems alittle unclear.

You could try this..
    For the DLL File you deleted

is that a vsdata.vxd? still tryign get some info on that one.

~Gg~

8. GeekGawd

GeekGawd

9. honeyv

honeyv Thread Starter

I know little about computer talk when I push delete to enter bios setup none of the things will change in there. I cant get to the desktop to go to Run I only have command prompt available to me. The Windows 98 cd wont even run for me to reinstall I am unsure of how to install Windows 98 and when I tried to format the c drive I didn't correct type the drive in apparently I typed format c. Without changing the boot sequence I am afraid if I format the c drive I wont be able to run cd rom.

10. EvileYe

EvileYe

Have you tried using the page up and page down keys to change things in your Bios ? You need to ensure that your cd drive is set as the first boot device in the bios.

11. GeekGawd

GeekGawd

In teh BIOS
    Most systems will at least let you choose between "A:, C:, CD-ROM". there may be six different combinations listed.

After going to the BIOS (by tapping the Delete key when you turn the system on), navigate to the BOOT menyu, by using the right or left arrow key.
    There should be something on Boot Sequence.
    Using PageUP PageDown, should let you change the drive you want to boot from. You needto use CD ROM.

in dell machines, sometimes you need to choose, First Boot Dvice, press enter. then a list appears. CHoose the ATAPI CDROM and press enter.
    That changes the first boot device to CDROM.
    Press F10 to save changes.
    restart with the CD in the drive.

yu may get a message to press any key to boot from cd. you have to press one real fast to make it boot from the cd so taht the isntallation can start.

you can also download startup disks from www.bootdisk.com

here is another link for info on fdisk and format.
    http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/software/windows/upgrade/intro.htm

12. honeyv

honeyv Thread Starter

went in to this site could not find bootable disk what am i looking for will this override if i cannot get into bios setup

13. GeekGawd

GeekGawd

If you download the one for windows 98 on bootdisk.com, you only need to run that .exe program with your floppy in the drive. It will create the system files on the floppy.
    Then you need to restart, and the system should boot from the floppy (by default the first boot device is usually the A: and then the hard disk).
    you can run fdisk and format from there.
    But bootnig from the CD to install windows is slightly simpler. since it is visual and no commands like this procedure.

~Gg~

14. honeyv

honeyv Thread Starter

Problem solved I can;t thank u guys enough

15. GeekGawd

GeekGawd

Super! Glad we could help you out, HoneyV :)

~Gg~

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172057

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice