1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Faulty CPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CricketSaysChill, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CricketSaysChill

CricketSaysChill Thread Starter

Hello! Here's my situation, I have recently purchased a new processor (Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 Yorkfield 2.66GHz 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W) to replace my old Core 2 Duo 2.6GHz processor. I installed everything properly.. not my first processor install.. and all the fans seem to be working fine however my screen tells me no signal. I then swapped out my new CPU for my old one and the computer booted normally. My new processor is compatible with my motherboard so I'm assuming it is just a faulty chip. Is there any way to check this other than popping it in a different computer? Or could it be something other than a faulty chip?

I appreciate the help!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. CricketSaysChill

Thanks for the speedy reply. I just updated my BIOS but it looks like it's the same story :(

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

The chances you got a defective processor is almost nil. Can you post a link to your motherboard?

5. CricketSaysChill

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

I may be looking in the wrong place since I'm not that familiar with the Evga site, but from what I see the Q8400 is not supported by your board.

7. CricketSaysChill

Hmm.. I can't see really where to check that. From what I can tell, the 2 chips I have (the duo and the quad) are almost identical.. my motherboard says it supports Quad Core and the chip has a 775 socket like my motherboard requires. Sorry if I'm not making sense I'm not the most computer literate ;)

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

Let me see if I can find you a link, it took me awhile to locate the supported processor list.

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

Go here,

http://www.evga.com/support/motherboard/

scroll down to LEGACY MOTHERBOARD CPU SUPPORT and there will be a click here link to click on. This will open a PDF file where processor support is broken down by chipsets.

With the nForce 6 series chipset I see the QX6850, QX6800, QX6700, and Q6600 are the only Kentsfield core processors I see that are supported.

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

The fact that processors may almost be identical doesn't make any difference, they have to be supported by the board so that BIOS knows how to configure the processor to the board.

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

I'm sorry, I put Kentsfield. The Evga site doesn't indicate any Yorkfield quad cores are supported, except there is a notation that says;

*** NVIDIA nForce 6 MCP supports QX9650, but most current nForce 6 motherboards do not.

12. CricketSaysChill

Ah okay I see.. maybe it's time for a motherboard upgrade then, I've had this one for a good 3-4 years. Either that or I should return the processor and get a compatible one. Thanks for all your help and information.

13. win2kpro

win2kpro

You're welcome, have a good evening.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1009299

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice