1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Faulty Power Cord or Faulty Battery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChildOfLore, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ChildOfLore

ChildOfLore Thread Starter

Hi,
    I recently bought a new, 3rd party power cord for my Toshiba Satellite L300 from eBay.
    Recently I've noticed that my battery stops charging earlier and earlier. At first it stopped at 87%, then 83%, then 80% all in one week. I've had the computer for about a year which seems a bit early for it to start degrading so fast, so could it be the power cord?

The Toshiba cord says Model: PA-1750-29, Input: 100-240V~ 50-60Hz 1.5A, Output: 19V[solid line above a dotted line]3.95A
    The 3rd party cord says Model: PA-34671ACA, Input: 100-240V~1.5A 50/60Hz, Output: 19V[solid over dotted]3.95A

If the new cord is harmful to my battery, I can just solder its input plug onto the Toshiba charger (that's the only bit that was broken) but I'd rather not risk breaking two power cords if I don't need to.

---------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Marlon

2. oksteve

oksteve

Being completely Patronising....Buy Cheap Pay Twice.

If you want to keep your wonderful Tosh alive and kicking in this new decade be nice to it,buy it within system specs software,smooth connecting periferals, furry dice....and original manufacturer recommended hardware !

3. K7M

K7M

I've used generic power cords on my Toshiba's (2) and a Dell for many years with no problem. Try to calibrate your battery. I do this by running it completely dead, by running the laptop until it shuts down, then recharge completely. It is possible you have a bad battery. The power cord you are using has the same specs as the original and should not be a problem. If you like you can buy just the connector at radio shack Part # 274-1573. You can see it here:http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102488

4. ChildOfLore

OK, so the specs aren't a problem; cool. Now my only concern is that the cord is outputting differently to what it says on the specs, how likely is that considering how quickly the battery capacity is going down (7% in a week) and how old it is (1 year)? I could recalibrate my battery but I think the capacity would still continue to decrease.

5. K7M

K7M

Well you won't know until you try it. Again you could also change just the connector on the old cord. and try that .

6. ChildOfLore

Well I was about ready to mark this as solved. I recalibrated the battery twice and I charged it 4 or 5 times with the capacity staying at 98.5%. Then, all of a sudden after the last charge (I left the charger in for a few minutes after it was finished this time) it stopped at 91%.

7. ChildOfLore

And now it seems to have settled on 91% Now I'm wondering if this is just a software bug, it's going up and down so much :S

8. ChildOfLore

I'm going to look for a coaxial power plug (radioshack doesn't ship to Australia) and try that so I don't have to wreck my current cord. Thanks for your help.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!