Solved: FDD retaining info

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

synlupri

The floppy drive keeps displaying info from the previous floppy I read instead of the present one.

Any ideas?

pugmug

Banned
Shut down,disconnect floppy drive,reboot to hard drive,shut down,reconnect floppy drive,reboot and check floppy.If working great if not a new floppy drive cost only 8 to 12 dollars-US. Good luck.

synlupri

Had a feeling it might need replacing.
Will try the suggestion.
Thx.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Actually, before you spend money on the floppy drive, try replacing the cable. The Disk Change (DC) line is on pin 34, the edge of the cable. They frequently get broken at one of the connectors, and the symptoms are exactly as you describe.

pugmug

Banned
I agree on the cable deal John but then if it was me and I used a floppy often,I would just buy a new one for 8 dollars and get a new cable with it before I would spend a dollar or two on just the cable.Floppy drive under warrenty then.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, if I need a floppy cable, I reach into the big box of cables and pull out one from the 30-40 I have. :) Frequently, you can find a cable that a friend has for free, or he may have one.

I agree that it's a problem with the disk change recognition system, it could be a faulty cable or socket; it could also be something broken inside the drive - I've had that happen when trying to remove a stuck disk shutter.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Another problem could be that the sensor is dusty. Blowing out the dust with canned air will sometimes fix such issues.

synlupri

pugmug said:
Shut down,disconnect floppy drive,reboot to hard drive,shut down,reconnect floppy drive,reboot and check floppy.If working great if not a new floppy drive cost only 8 to 12 dollars-US. Good luck.
This worked thanks. Sorry for the late (2-3 years) reply. Just trying to add "Solved" to my solved issues. LOL.

Thanks again. This is my FIRST place to go for help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online