1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Fdisk Partitioning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by madchick, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. madchick

madchick Thread Starter

I want to "successfully" reformat & reinstall operating system on a custom built machine. The problem I am having is it is only using 540 mb of the drive when I install instead of the 2.4 gb the drive actually is. I tried another hard drive and it was 6 gb and only loaded 540 mb as well. What do I need to do to get the system to install correctly? I chose yes when the question came up about larger partitions. Please advise. Is there something in the BIOS I'm missing or am I doing something wrong in FDISK.

2. Rache

Rache Banned

3. Rockn

Rockn

How old is this PC? It may very well be a BIOS limitation if it is a dinosaur. Get a copy of FDISK and FORMAT and put them on a system formatted diskette. Boot to the diskette and run FDISK and option 4 to look at the current partition setup. Post back your findings.

4. madchick

madchick Thread Starter

The PC is old. C: 1 PRI DOS 503MB System unknow usage 100%

I think you are right (limitation) explains why I can't change this problem regardless of the hard drive I put in it, however, since a 2.6 gb drive worked in it before there must be a way around this limitation. Any ideas?

5. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!